Education Pathway Support

Graduate with yellow ribbons holds diploma cover.
Education Learning and Career pathway logo.

The Education (EDU) Pathway is designed for students interested in becoming an Early Childhood Caregiver, Early Childhood Educator, Preschool Teacher, Special Education Teacher, or an Elementary School Teacher. Many students can benefit from the growth this pathway can accommodate through earning a Job Skills Certificate (JSC), a Certificate of Achievement (COA), and then a Transfer degree (AS-T or AA-T).


Help Along Your Path

Completion Coaching Directory

A community of faculty, counselors, and staff specialists in the Education Pathway ready to help you with your specific needs and specialized support for your program academics, counseling, and writing.

Program Map EDU Pathway

Find program learning outcomes and detailed career outlook statistics for each of the programs of study in this Learning and Career Pathway.

Occupational Outlook Handbook

For information about career outlooks in any field, visit the US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook.

Steps for Success

Momentum Points

If you are pursuing one of the degrees in this pathway, enroll in 15 units each semester to graduate in approximately two years. This requires 30 units in your first year. Make math, English, and courses in your major are in that first year. Earning 9 units in your major your first year keeps you on track to your degree and may help you earn a certificate on the way!

Transfer Information

Students interested in pursuing a career in elementary, high school, or special education are required to obtain a BA or BS and a Teaching Credential pertinent to their field of study. This can take an additional three years beyond the AS-T in Early Childhood Education or AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education. Also, students interested in pursuing a lead teacher position within a California State “5-Star” facility or a Federally-funded program, such as Head Start, are required to obtain a BA or BS degree in Early Childhood Education or similar field of study. Students are encouraged to discuss their career plans with an Advisor or Counselor at Bakersfield College to create a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) that will provide the best guidance with respect to the preferred field of study and transfer opportunities.


If you are ready for a job in education, you can apply through EDJoin. If you have completed a Job Skills Certificate or Certificate of Achievement in Child Development, you can apply for a California Child Development Teacher Permit at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Stipends for also available for the Child Development Permit. For more information, visit the Child Development Training Consortium.

Not sure where to start? Let us help.

Meet with a Counselor

Take the right classes to meet your education and career goals. Create your Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) with your Counselor or Ed. Advisor.
Call (661) 395-4421.

Not sure about your career path?

Take the career quiz to discover the perfect career based on your personality type and interests.