Resources for Student Parents

Bakersfield College Campus Resources

Who is a student parent?

A student parent is defined as a student who has a child or children under 18 years of age who will receive more than half of their support from the student (parent).

AB 2881

AB 2881 requires colleges and universities in California to provide priority registration for student parents, and to notify them of resources and supports critical to their success. We have established this student-parent webpage to highlight services and resources that can offer additional support to student parents while they pursue their goals at Bakersfield College.

Priority Registration

Did you know that student parents are now in the priority 1 group for registration? To ensure you are in the priority 1 group, make sure to choose the option that states “Do you have a child or children under the age of 18 who will receive more than half of their support from you?” on your Update Form. Need one on one help? Visit the Welcome Center or join the Student Information Desk (SID)!

What is the benefit of priority registration?

Priority registration increases the number of available courses by allowing students to register early for their desired schedule.

Bakersfield College Child Development Center

Building: Family and Consumer Education (FACE)

The centers are licensed through the California Department of Social Services. All teachers are professionally trained in the field of early childhood education, and are certificated through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Placement in the program is made according to state priorities and date of application. Apply online now! The program is designed for income eligible families who are enrolled in BC courses leading to a specific career/professional goal.


Building: Center for Student Success (CSS)

The Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) Program promotes students' success by offering specialized services to Bakersfield College students who are single parents receiving public assistance (CalWORKs/TANF/Tribal TANF). As a supplemental component of EOPS, this state-funded program provides educational and financial assistance.

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Children (CalWORKS) at Bakersfield College provides education, employment training, support services and work study opportunities to increase wage earning power and lead to self-sufficiency.

To find out more about CARE/CalWORKS, please visit the programs' Virtual Lobby or call (661) 395-4351.

Renegade Nexus - BC's Basic Needs Center

Building: Campus Center (CC)

If you are experiencing basic needs challenges, such as food insecurity, housing search challenges, or academic technology issues, we encourage you to complete the Student Interest Form and one of our staff will reach out to you with help.

Renegade Pantry

Building:  Campus Center (CC)

The Renegade Pantry offers a wide variety of supplemental food options, personal and professional clothing, gender-affirming clothing, hygiene assistance and personal care to BC students. Each student has 12 points that reset at the beginning of each week. The pantry is located on the Northwest corner of the Dining Commons. To find out more, visit the Bakersfield College Pantry.

Study Space in the BC Library

Children are welcome in the BC Library. The BC Library recognizes that many students are parents or guardians of children they cannot leave at home alone when they need to study or otherwise use the library. When bringing children to the library, please note the following:

  • Children must remain under direct supervision of the adult who brought them (i.e., must remain within their eyesight).
  • Library staff and faculty do not watch after children in the library.
  • If children are disturbing other library users through excessive noise or horseplay, the parent/guardian and the children may be asked to leave the library.
  • Consider bringing a quiet activity for children to complete during their time in the library.

For more answers to your questions, please visit the FAQ page on the library website.

Lactation Space at Bakersfield College

Lactation space is available in room 103 in the Student Health and Wellness Center. For more information, please contact Student Health and Wellness at (661) 395-4336.

Bakersfield College Financial Aid Resources

Cal Grant students attending a University of California, California State University, or California Community College campus who have dependent children may be eligible for an access award of up to $6,000. The Students with Dependent Children (SWD) Grant increases the Cal Grant award by up to $6,000 for qualifying Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for qualifying Cal Grant C recipients. To qualify, the student must have dependent children that are under 18 years of age for whom they provide more than half of their financial support during the academic year. If you add dependents on your FAFSA/CADAA, that information will be submitted to your webgrants application. Must have 6 units to receive any Cal Grant.

Students with Dependents FAQ

Cal Grant Awards for Students with Dependent Children

County Resources

Kern County Help-Line links those in need to services available in the community such as food, clothing and shelter. 211 can be dialed from ANY phone line at no charge. To reach the helpline, call (661) 336-5200 or call 2-1-1. CAPK Programs include Food Bank, Head Start, WIC and Friendship House. Check out all the CAPK Programs online.

Federal and State Resources

California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)

The California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) offers support for low-income, working Californians. You may be eligible for up to $3,417 cash back or a reduction of the tax you owe. Learn if you may qualify and how to apply.

Department of Human Services

The mission of the Department of Human Services is to partner with children, individuals, families and the community to provide customer-centered services, ensuring safe, protected and permanent homes for children and employment preparation for adults. Programs include: CalFresh, CalWORKs, Medi-Cal, General Assistance, and more! Apply for benefits.

Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)

The Women, Infants and Children (WIC) helps families across the state by providing nutrition education, breastfeeding support, healthy foods, and referrals to health care and other community services.

WIC serves infants and children up to age 5 and people who are pregnant or have given birth or experienced pregnancy loss. Partners, grandparents, foster parents of young children, and working families are welcome at WIC too!

To find out more about WIC, please visit the Community Action Partnership of Kern WIC information page.

Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC)

The Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC) provides a credit up $1,083 per tax return for Californians who qualify for CalEITC and have a child under 6 years old.

New for tax year 2022 forward, you may qualify for YCTC with total earned income of zero dollars or less provided all of the following apply:

  • Your total wages, salaries, tips, and other employee compensation (whether subject to California withholding or not), if any, do not exceed $32,490
  • Your total net loss does not exceed $32,490, and
  • You otherwise meet the CalEITC and YCTC requirements

You must claim YCTC on the 2022 FTB 3514 form, California Earned Income Tax Credit, or if you e-file follow your software's instructions. You may claim YCTC for tax year 2019 forward by filing or amending your state income tax return. However, for tax years prior to 2022 you will only be eligible for YCTC if you meet all CalEITC requirements, including having at least $1 of earned income in the tax year.

Learn if you qualify and how to apply.

Additional Resources

Black Infant Health

The California Black Infant Health (BIH) Program aims to improve health among Black mothers and babies and to reduce the Black: White disparities by empowering pregnant and mothering Black women to make healthy choices for themselves, their families, and their communities. Learn more information.

Clinca Sierra Vista Medically Vulnerable Infant Program

Clinica Sierra Vista's Medically Vulnerable Infant Program (MVIP) is a nurse home-visiting program for families of eligible babies just released from a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at local hospitals. Clinica Sierra Vista provides services to children up to 3 years old who meet the program's medical criteria. Learn more information.

Early Start Family Resource Center

Provides supportive services which include education, parent to parent support groups, information and referral, children playgroups and training to families with children who are at risk for or experiencing delays or disabilities. Learn more information.

H.E.A.R.T.S. Connection

H.E.A.R.T.S. Connection's mission is to enhance the quality of life for people with special needs through a family resource center that symbolizes professionalism, dignity, compassion, and respect.

Kern Indian Education & Community Resource Center

Provides resource and referral information, assistance with Tribal TANF (Temporary Aid for Needy Families),supportive services, prevention activities, free events, family literacy, early childhood education, tutoring, and job search assistance to eligible Native American families. For more information, please visit: Learn more information.

Visit Bakersfield

If you are looking for a list of "family fun" things to do in Bakersfield, look no further. Explore the Best of Bakersfield with the Family Fun Pass. The Pass provides exclusive family-friendly deals and discounts on a variety of activities throughout the city. Head to Visit Bakersfield to receive your pass instantly via text or email, no app is needed.