Counseling FAQs

The following are questions commonly asked by college students. Understanding these answers may help you plan your studies more effectively.

General Counseling | Registration | Financial Aid | Academic Planning | Transcript | Graduation | Transfer | Glossary

General Counseling

Questions and answers about Counseling and Advising.

Registration FAQs

Commonly asked questions about registering for classes. Also see Admissions and Records FAQs.

Financial Aid

Commonly asked questions about Financial Aid.

Academic Planning FAQs

Questions about placement, education plans, and more.

Transcript FAQs

Questions about how to get official and unofficial transcripts.

Transfer FAQs

A few answers for those questions about transferring to another college.

Graduation FAQs

Also see the Graduation FAQs page.


A.A. / A.S. degree
An Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree is awarded by a community college upon completion of an organized sixty unit program of study.
Academic probation
Students are placed on academic probation and a hold is put on their ability to register for classes when their grade point average drops below a 2.0. To lift the hold, students must complete the online Academic Success Workshop each semester until their cumulative GPA reaches at least a 2.0
B.A. / B.S. degree
A Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) are degrees awarded by a four-year college or university after the completion of an organized program of studies consisting of approximately 124 semester units. The freshman and sophomore years at a community college are equivalent to the freshman and sophomore years at a four-year college.
Certificate program
A certificate program is an occupational program that offers specialized career training.
CSU system
The CSU System stands for the California State University System. It includes twenty-three campuses. Three examples are Cal State Bakersfield, SDSU and CSU Cal Poly. When you have completed approximately 45 transferable units at BC, you may apply online to a CSU at CSU Mentor. Please consult with a counselor and Transfer Services.
If a student does not earn a 2.0 grade point average or does not complete at least 51% of the units they attempt for three consecutive semesters, then they are disqualified from attending Bakersfield College. Students must contact the Counseling and Advising Department to make a counseling appointment to determine what steps they need to complete to determine when they can return to BC. Remember, counseling appointments are not available during peak registration times, so it is suggested that students seek advising and counseling advice mid-semester if they are struggling in their courses.
General Education
General Education refers to a broad range of courses taken to increase a student's knowledge of a variety of subjects. They are courses outside your major and are required of all students receiving an A.A./A.S. or B.A./B.S. degree. These courses are listed in the Bakersfield College catalog.
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
This is the general education pattern which students use for transferring to the UC system. It can also be used by students who are not sure if they would like to transfer to the UC or CSU system. Please consult with a counselor and Transfer Services.
Lower-division refers to students and courses at the freshman and sophomore level of college study. Community colleges offer only lower-division courses.
Matriculation is the process that allows the college and you to form a partnership which helps you attain that goal. We ask you to commit yourself to an educational objective and we will commit ourselves in assisting you to succeed. Matriculation includes the following:
  • Admission
  • Orientation
  • Assessment
  • Counseling
  • Student Educational Plan (SEP)
A prerequisite is a requirement that must be met prior to enrolling in a particular course - usually an entrance test or completion of a preparatory course. To locate the prerequisite, refer to the course description in the college catalog.
Progress probation
Students are placed on progress probation when they have not completed 51% of their cumulative units attempted. These students must meet with a counselor or attend a online Academic Success Workshop in order to enroll for the upcoming semesters until their cumulative completion of units has reached 51%.
A semester is a 16-week session.
Transferable course
A transferable course is a course at Bakersfield College that is accepted by a four-year college, including community college, or university. The transferability of courses are listed in the course description section of the Bakersfield College Catalog.
UC system
The UC System stands for the University of California System. The UC System includes nine campuses. In 2008, more than 80 percent of admitted transfer students came to the UCs. from California Community Colleges.UCSB and UCLA are the closest campuses to Bakersfield College. The UC application must be submitted online. Please consult with a counselor and Transfer Services.
A unit is a measurement of college work which reflects the amount of credit given to a course. You can generally count on one hour of class time weekly for each unit a course is assigned.
Upper-division refers to students or courses at the junior or senior level of college study. These courses can only be taken at the university or college.