BC Veteran Services
BC Electronic Certification Request for VA Educational Benefits
Monthly Enrollment Verification
Enrollment verification is a new requirement for Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) students to verify every month that they are still enrolled in the same courses or training that the school certified to VA. It's not about verifying that students are attending classes, but whether the student's certified enrollment has changed.
Veteran Enrollment Steps
Bakersfield College honors and supports the sacrifices of those who have served in our Nation's military and is approved as an institution of higher learning for the training of veterans and dependents of veterans who are entitled to educational assistance. Services for Veterans include: priority registration, designated veterans counselor, and more. Because of special benefits allowed to veterans, enrollment steps are slightly different. Please see the following:
The College Financing Plan (shopping sheet) helps students compare the cost of attending college. You must apply for financial aid in order to receive an individualized college financing plan. Contact the Bakersfield College Financial Aid Office if you would like an estimated financing plan.
Step 1: Fill out a FAFSA or Dream Act Application
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Bakersfield College's School Code: 001118
- Note: You must apply EVERY year for financial aid. Mark your calendar to re-apply for Financial Aid ASAP after October 1st every year. The first deadline for Cal Grant consideration is March 2nd every year.
Step 2: Check InsideBC for additional requirements.
- Log in to InsideBC. Your user ID is @00xxxxx and if it is your first time logging in, your password is your six-digit birthday (MMDDYY).
- Select Financial Aid.
- Select Financial Aid Status.
- Select the Award Year from the drop-down menu and Submit.
- Review your Academic Progress standing and Unsatisfied Requirements
- Complete all required items four weeks or more before the start of the semester to avoid delays. If you were selected for verification, get more information on verification process.
- If you need help, contact your Financial Aid Technician directly.
Step 3: Select a Refund Preference with BankMobile Disbursements
- For information on selecting a refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, inc., visit : BankMobile Disbursements Refund Choices.
Step 4: Monitor your BC student email and InsideBC
- Award notifications
- Satisfactory Academic Progress status
- Requests for additional documents
- Refund notifications
- Workshop announcements
- Other important updates
For more information on Financial Aid, see Financial Aid.
After you receive your student ID (@00xxxxx), complete the Online Orientation. At orientation you will learn about our academic majors and degrees, policies, important academic dates, and tips on how to be a successful student.
Meet with the Veterans Services Advisor
Meet with Veterans Educational Advisor to get your placement and develop your Student Educational Plan. Make an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from your BC email or by calling (661) 395-4312. Your Student Education Plan will help you determine the classes to register for this semester.
You will need a copy of the DD214 and your transcripts from other colleges for your appointment.
Your counselor/advisor will assist you with your placement during your appointment to create a Student Education Plan.
If you did not complete at least 11th grade in a U.S. high school, graduated from a non-U.S. high school or you are an international student, you will complete the Guided Self-Placement process with your counselor/advisor.
Within 1-3 Business days of your application (Step 1), we will send your registration date. You will register for classes from your Student Education Plan (Step 4) through the student portal, InsideBC.
Veterans are in Priority 1 for registration appointments. See the order of appointment assignments.
Tuition & Fees
For information about the cost of attendance, tuition and fees policies, veteran's benefits, and other important information visit Tuition & Fees.
10-Day Payment Deadline
You have 10 days from the date you register for a class to pay your tuition bill in full or you may be dropped for non-payment.
You may pay your bill online through InsideBC or at the Business Office. How to make your payment online.
Financial Aid may be able to help you pay for college. See step 2, above, to apply.
Apply online for your GI Bill® benefits at the GI Bill® website.
While campuses are closed for safety, documents will need to be sent electronically. In order to protect your information, please do not send them attached to email. Instead, use FileExpress to send documents more securely.
Steps for Sending Documents
- Go to fileexpress.kccd.edu.
- Sender email address: enter your BC email address
- Recipient email address(es): enter email@example.com
- Message: enter your name and student ID and any message you wish to add
- Upload your file* by the select button or drag and drop
- Click Send File
You may send the files individually or zip them into one file, provided the file is less than 5GB.
Bakersfield College will grant veterans 12 elective credits for military service. Review of DD-214 member page 4 (Report of Separation from the Armed Forces) will be made by the Office of Admissions & Records. Credit evaluations will conform to the regulations set forth by the State Approval Agency of the California State Department of Education and the recommendations of the American Council on Education. A Veteran student who has successfully completed Basic Military Training/Recruit Training, with any character discharge, excluding dishonorable, will be awarded 12 semester units as listed below:
- HLEDB1 (3 Units)
- Physical Education (2 Units)
- and General Education (7 Units)
Submission of a copy of the veteran's DD-214, member page 4 (Report of Separation from the Armed Forces) to Admissions & Records is required.
Military credit granted by Bakersfield College is currently accepted only by the CSU system.
Designated Campus Employees for Military Affiliated Students
- Manager for Veteran Services and Programs: Jenny Frank firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Certifying Official: Nichole Cook email@example.com
- Veterans Resource Center Advising Staff:
- Eric Hansen firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Aid Veterans Representative:
- Mental Health Counseling: Dave Seymore (schedule appointments by calling (661) 395-4336)
- Peer Tutors: (schedule appointments by calling (661) 395-4312)
- Ronald Pennington
- Christopher Bentley
- Disable Student Programs and Services:
Vernon Valenzuela Veterans Center
The 4,700 square foot building is bright and offers a place for veterans and military-affiliated students to come enjoy camaraderie, study, rest, and use of the center's amenities. Features:
- Quiet study area
- Dedicated Advising
- Computer lab
- Conference/Group Study Rooms
- Lounge area
- Coffee bar
- Outdoor patio area
- Book bag storage
- Charging stations
- Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00PM
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Tutoring: Monday through Thursday (hours will vary, call for appointment)
Our club's mission is to be a resource for all veterans that are students of Bakersfield College in order to provide information, service, and a feeling of belonging. Please stop in to inquire.
Veterans Pre-Commencement Celebration
Each year Veterans Services hosts a special Veterans Pre-Commencement Celebration for BC's Graduating Veterans. For more information, visit the Pre-Commencement information page.
Additional Veterans Resources