Isakson & Roe
Isakson and Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020
On January 5, 2021, the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 was enacted. The law will have a transformative effect on the mission of Education Service to provide ready access to, and timely and accurate delivery of, education benefits to Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families, as well as further enable VA to empower GI Bill beneficiaries to achieve their vocational and career goals.
This new law features 32 provisions that impact the administration and oversight of GI Bill benefits including new requirements for enrollment verification, expanded restoration of entitlement opportunities, the sunsetting of the Montgomery GI Bill, and substantial changes to our oversight of GI Bill-approved schools and other education-related issues.
Bakersfield College does not provide commissions, bonuses, or other incentive payments based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including Tuition Assistance funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.
Bakersfield College prohibits staff and faculty from engaging in high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.
Financial Information and Resources
- College Financing Plan
“Financial Aid Shopping Sheet” - All information required in a College Financing Plan can be found within the links provided on this page.
- Estimated cost of courses including tuition, fees, books, supplies, other additional costs.
- Estimated cost of living expenses.
- Amount of cost covered by VA can be found using the GI Bill Comparison Tool:
- Types of Federal financial aid offered by the institution, that the students may be qualified to receive.
- Estimated amount of student loan debt upon completion of 2 year degree or certificate.
- Graduation Rates for Bakersfield College
- Job Placement rates for graduates
Net Price Calculator
Student tool provided for students to research cost to attend Bakersfield College
BC Net Price Calculator.
College Policy on acceptance of transfer credits including military credits.
- HLEDB1 (3 Units),
- Physical Education (2 Units), and;
- General Education (7 Units)
Credit for Prior Learning
- Military training
- Industry training
- State/federal government training
- Apprenticeships, internships, work-based learning, or other industry-based experiential learning
- Validated volunteer and civic activities (e.g. Peace Corps)
- The student shall complete the Credit for Prior Learning assessment petition available in the Counseling or Records Office
- Official transcripts must be on file in the Records Office. These may include Joint Services Transcript (JST), Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART), Army and American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS), Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Coast Guard Institute (CGI), DANTES/USAFI, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Transcripts (DLIFLC), Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC), DLPT Examinee Results, DA Form 330 Language Proficiency Questionnaire, or verified copies of DD214 or DD295 military records.
- Credit course equivalency shall be determined by the faculty of the appropriate discipline.
VA Monthly Enrollment Verification
Enrollment verification is a new requirement for Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) students to verify every month that they are still enrolled in the same courses or training that the school-certified to VA. It's not about verifying that students are attending classes, but whether the student's certified enrollment has changed.
Requirements for In-State Tuition
Students eligible for GI Bill educational benefits including the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program (Chapter 30), the Veterans Readiness and Employment program (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) (Chapter 31), or the Post-9/11 GI Bill program (Chapter 33) are exempt from paying nonresident tuition regardless of when the veteran separated from the military.
Prohibition of automatic enrollment certification
Veteran students and students using VA educational benefits at Bakersfield College are not certified automatically. Students must request to be certified for each term they wish to use their educational benefits.
Absence due to Military Service
MILITARY WITHDRAWAL (MW) grades are given to students who are called up to active duty in the military. Upon presentation of orders, an ‘MW' grade is awarded for each class for which you are enrolled, regardless of when you stopped attending. ‘MW' grades are non-evaluative and do not count in computing the grade point average, nor are they used in calculating progress probation/dismissal. Upon returning from active duty, you are considered a continuing student with no break in attendance. You retain original catalog rights and resume the same level of priority registration.
Designated Campus Employees for Military Affiliated Students
- Manager for Veteran Services and Programs: Jenny Frank - firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Certifying Official: Nichole Cook - email@example.com
- Veterans Resource Center Advising Staff: Eric Hansen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Financial Aid Veterans Representative: Valerie Mackey (email@example.com) and Ruthie Welborn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mental Health Counseling: Dave Seymore (schedule appointments by calling (661) 395-4336)
- Peer Tutors: Ronald Pennington and Christopher Bentley (schedule appointments by calling (661) 395-4312)
- Disabled Student Programs and Services: Katrina Marquez (Manager) or Antonio Alfaro (Counselor): (661) 395-4334 or email@example.com