Welcome information from your Department of Public Safety for Spring 2020
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Hi Renegades! Welcome back to campus, the Home of the Renegades! We're excited to have you back for Spring 2020. As you begin, here are some helpful reminders.
We HIGHLY recommend that students arrive early for classes for the first week of school.
- Carpool! The first week is crazy busy with everyone coming to campus. Find yourself a colleague or peer to carpool to campus with. This helps with the parking congestion and is also better for the environment.
- Bike/Walk to campus for some extra personal fitness. Take time in the day to enjoy the fresh air and be outdoors. But please protect yourself and wear your sunscreen!
- The GETBus is always a great way to come to campus because BC has a GETBus terminal stop. If you have the BCSGA/KVC Student Services Sticker, you'll receive $5 off your monthly GETBus pass when you purchase the pass at the BC Bookstore.
- Kern Transit is continuing their support for BC Renegades and providing free rides on ALL 100-numbered routes. You must show your valid BC student ID to take advantage of this program.
Students can find additional transportation information on the Bakersfield College transportation webpage.
Purchasing your parking permit online is the best way to avoid long lines. Go to our parking website and follow the instructions under Parking Permits. Follow these helpful tips.
- You must use the "@" symbol when you enter your BC ID.
- It is best to use your BC email.
- You must enter a valid mailing address to receive your parking permit.
- If you are paying in cash, select that option during the order process. You will then need to go to Business Services (located in the Bookstore) to pay the permit fee. Afterward, take your receipt to Public Safety (or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will clear you to obtain your temporary permit and to be mailed your permanent sticker.
- If you are a veteran, please make sure you have connected with Veteran Affairs in Admissions & Records to verify your contract and/or vouchers. You will also need to verify with Business Services to ensure your voucher or third party payment has been processed.
Once you complete your order online, you will be emailed a temporary parking permit. You may print and use that permit until your permanent sticker comes in the mail. You must place your temporary permit in the lower left corner of your front windshield. You must also adhere to the expiration date on your temporary permit. If you do not receive your permanent sticker by the time your permit expires, please contact BC Public Safety at (661) 395-4554 for more information.
Please remember to allot yourself enough time to find parking. We HIGHLY recommend that students arrive early for classes for the first week of school.
Unfortunately, crime is not limited to the Cities of Bakersfield, Shafter, Arvin, Wasco, McFarland, Delano, or wherever you may be coming from to further your education with us. Bakersfield College is like a city of its own with over 37,000 students, staff and faculty. Safety on campus is a shared responsibility and we encourage you to embrace our moto of, “If you see something, Say something, So we can do something about it!” Your Public Safety Officers and Cadets work tirelessly to ensure you have the best learning environment possible. When you do the numbers, students, staff, and faculty far outnumber the staff within the Department of Public Safety. You can all contribute to the safety and security of our campus. If you see something that just doesn't look right to you or if you see someone acting or looking suspicious on campus or in the parking lots, please call Public Safety to report it by calling our number (661) 395-4554, which I hope you have input into your cell phone.
A few safety tips to keep in mind not only while you are on campus but off campus as well.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle. Secure all valuables in the trunk of your vehicle. It only takes a few seconds for someone to break your window, reach in, and take your valuables.
- Do not walk alone at night. Use the buddy system when leaving class or please call for an escort by an officer or cadet by calling (661) 395-4554.
- Never leave your belongings unattended.
- Roll the windows to your vehicle all the way up and lock your doors. Even with summers in Bakersfield being so hot it is better to ensure your vehicle is properly secured.
- If you enjoy listening to music with ear buds, please only use one. This will allow you to hear what is taking place around you at all times even while enjoying your favorite music.
When you return to campus for the Spring semester, please be aware of some changes to normal routes and access due to Measure J construction. The new Science & Engineering building construction has begun, which will conclude in August 2021. Until then please be aware of the following:
- The parking lot between SE and IT buildings (P5) will be closed
- Access to the current SE building will only be available on the south side of the building
- The SE courtyard will remain open, but only accessible from southeast building doors and the south side of the breezeway. A fence will block access to the sidewalk on the north side of the building.
- Access to the hallway with the large lecture rooms will be through the SE courtyard and breezeway from the biology lab side of the building
- A new ramp may be installed in the courtyard to improve ADA access during this time.
- A portion of the road on the south side of the CSS building (north of the construction) will be closed. This will require pedestrians to use the upper level walking path up the stairs to the PAC building, leading to the east portion of campus. Those requiring an ADA route will need to utilize the elevator at the bottom of the PAC stairs in order to get to the upper level walkway.
While this will take some adjustment, the final result will produce more science labs and classrooms for everyone. Please see the paths of travel map on the A Better BC website, along with its text description.
BC provides Courtesy Cart service, primarily to students that are part of the Disabled Student Programs & Services (DSPS). The service is available to students with a verified temporary or permanent mobility impairment. Bakersfield College is not required by law to provide an on-campus mobility service, but the service is provided as a courtesy to qualified DSPS students.
Non-DSPS students and BC employees are welcome to request this service when it is available, but wait times may be longer, as we prioritize DSPS students that need the service.
It is the student's responsibility to allow for adequate travel time between classes when requesting cart service. Because of the large number of students served, students should plan accordingly. It is not the responsibility of the cart service to get students to class on time.
BC Student ID Card
Get your FREE BC Student ID Card in the Welcome Center at the Administration Building. Your ID Card should be on your person every time you are on campus.
Order and pick up your books for classes before your classes start at the BC Bookstore. Be prepared for your first day of classes and show up with all the tools you need.
Need a bite to eat or some items to take home? Visit the Office of Student Life's Renegade Pantry Student Assistance program. Make sure you don't go to class on an empty stomach. Always have something with you.
Get involved with the various programs and services on campus including student organizations. There is always something for everyone. Meet new people and enjoy your time here at BC!
Campus Tour and Food Services
Come to campus this week and explore the grounds. Make sure you know where your classrooms are and the best way to get there. Check out the campus map for all routes. Don't forget to stop by the Huddle for a bite to eat from our BC Food Services or one of our Food Truck Vendors.
No matter where you go, you should always keep yourself safe and know your surroundings. It is part of our civic duty to ensure that each of us keep our person and our community safe. Remember our motto: See Something, Say Something, Do Something. Add the BC Public Safety main line into your cell phone: (661) 395-4554.
Calling Public Safety
When you dial (661) 395-4554, there are three options in our auto-attendant:
- Press #1 for emergencies
- Press #2 for cart service, or
- Press #3 for general inquiries
We recommend that you give us a call to hear what our auto-attendant sounds like, so you understand how to call our offices.
BC Public Safety is available 24/7. Please call us anytime you need us.
- All-Campuses Emergency Landline: (661) 395-4554
- Panorama Cell/Text: (661) 747-3808
- Weill Institute Cell/Text: (661) 747-2037
- BC SouthWest Cell/Text:(661) 747-6076
- Delano Campus Cell/Text: (661) 747-1601
BCSGA/KVC Student Services Sticker Program
If you purchased your BCSGA/KVC Student Services Sticker or would like to, stop by the Office of Student Life in Levinson Hall to get your new sticker for the back of your Student ID. Great prizes and a lot of free stuff will be coming your way with this sticker.
We're so excited to have you back on campus and we wish you a successful semester!
Dr. Nicky Damania