TRIO Student Support Services
Attention: Students Pursuing Teaching as a Career
Teachers are in high demand! If you are planning on teaching as a career at pre-school, elementary, high school or college level, the TRIO SSS grant at Bakersfield College can offer you extra academic, personal, and transfer support!
Eligible students will be pursuing teaching as a career AND planning to transfer with a degree to be considered for this grant support.
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded outreach program designed to:
- motivate and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- promote educational success, retention, and persistence.
- provide opportunities for low-income, first-generation college students and students with disabilities from diverse backgrounds.
BENEFITS OF THE TRIO SSS PROGRAM
- Priority Registration
- UC and CSU Campus Tours
- Quick access to personalized
- Academic Advising
- Career Planning
- Transfer Assistance
- Financial Aid Information, Group Workshops, One-on-One support
- Teaching-related Workshops / Conferences
- Academic Tutoring and Study Skills Support
- Test-taking tutorials and practice tests (CBEST, CSET, and more)
Participate in TRIO SSS to get additional support to help you achieve your goals of getting a degree at BC, transferring, and pursuing a career in teaching! Apply TODAY to determine your eligibility for the program. If you are a current TRIO SSS participant, reapplying is unnecessary. Check your BC email for information sent from email@example.com
Update: 2023-2024 Applications
We are no longer accepting new students into our program, our application will reopen on July 1, 2024.
To be eligible for the TRIO program, you must be pursuing, with an intent to complete, a degree or certificate at Bakersfield College and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First Generation (neither parent/parental figure has earned a four-year degree)
- Low Income (Qualify for Federal student financial assistance)
- Disabled (Other eligibility requirements may apply.)
- First-time freshman with less than 30 units
A student may be selected to participate in a TRIO Student Support Services program if the student meets all of the following requirements:
- Is a citizen or national of the United States or meets the residency requirements for Federal student financial assistance
- Is enrolled at Bakersfield College or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term
- Has a need for academic support as indicated on application
- Plans to pursue a career in teaching
- Plans to graduate from Bakersfield College with an associate's degree or certificate and transfer to a 4-year institution within four (4) years
TRIO SSS is a limited entry program. Not all eligible students are automatically accepted. Selection is based on the program's ability to best benefit students. Students already holding a degree are ineligible for services.
- Academic Counseling
- Student Education Plan Support
- Financial Literacy Guidance
- Transfer Assistance
- Tutoring Services
- Peer Coaching
- Community Staff/Mentoring Program
- Education Career Informational Workshops
- Attend a TRIO orientation meeting.
- Sign TRIO student contract annually.
- Meet with an education advisor at least *three (3) times per semester.
- Participate in at least *one (1) Education Pathway sponsored activity per semester.
- Attend at least *two (2) financial aid/financial literacy workshops per semester.
- Attend additional required meetings and activities as assigned by TRIO staff.
- Maintain satisfactory progress toward a transferrable degree and stay on track to complete a degree from BC within four years.
- Submit required grade checks to TRIO staff when requested.
- Submit “TRIO Attendance Reflection Form” for all events, activities, workshops, advising, or other TRIO-related sessions attended.
- Respond to TRIO emails, phone calls, texts, and other communications in a timely manner (within 1 week or sooner).
- Maintain a professional relationship with TRIO SSS faculty, staff, peer mentors, and tutors.
- Abide by the BC Standards of Student Conduct.
Contact TRIO staff for all of the following:
- teaching career pathway changes
- registration and class changes
- major, degree, transfer changes
- intent to withdraw from TRIO program
- all personal contact information changes
- other information related to your TRIO participation
* Required number of visits may vary. Please follow the required guidelines provided by the TRIO staff each semester.