California Dream Act Application Help
If you are an undocumented AB-540 eligible student who is not able to file a FAFSA application, you must complete a California Dream Act Application to qualify for state aid and institutional scholarships. You are not eligible for any Federal aid programs.
You are an AB-540 eligible student if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for a minimum of three years
- Graduated from a California high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or received a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) in the State of California
- Registered or currently enrolled at a California Community College
- If required, complete and affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
The California Dream Act Application
There are two ways to complete a CA Dream Act Application: online or by mail.
Preparing to Apply
Whether applying online or by mail, begin by gathering gather the following documents:
- W-2 forms and other records of income (if you or your parents have any)
- Income tax return (s) (if you or your parents have one) for more information if you
or your return(s) have not been completed,
- Records of child support paid (if applicable)
- Current bank statements (if applicable)
- Current stock, bond, and other investment records (if applicable)
- Current business and farm records (if applicable)
Print out and complete the CA Dream Act Application Worksheet available under "Resources" on the California Dream Act website and establish your user name and password before being guided through a step-by-step application process. This will help you complete the application.
We recommend submitting your application online at California Dream Act. This is faster and easier. If you do not have a computer with Internet access at home, you can find Internet access at your local library, high school, or a college financial aid office at a nearby campus.
Paper CA Dream Act Application is also available to print out and complete. On the California Dream Act under "Information and Resources."
If you do not have a computer with Internet access at home, you can find Internet access at your local library, high school, or a college financial aid office.
When applying on paper:
- Make copies of your completed application for your files before you mail it
- Do not mail letters, tax forms, or any extra materials with the application. Only send the application.
- Make sure that you put any important documents such as tax forms or letters in a secure file so you can refer to them in the future if you need them.
- Mail your completed application to the following address:
California Student Aid Commission
Cal Grant Operations
P.O. Box 419077
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9077
This address is also listed on the front page of the paper CA Dream Act Application.
After receiving your completed application, CSAC will analyze your CA Dream Act Application information and, using a formula established by Congress, calculate an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for you. The results of your application will be sent to the schools you list on your application.
After You Apply
Once you have applied for financial aid, monitor your BC student email and check Inside BC frequently for the following:
- Award notifications
- Satisfactory Academic Progress status
- Requests for additional documents
- Refund notifications
- Workshop announcements
- Other important updates
If you applied with FAFSA, you may be selected for verification. Learn how to navigate that step on the verification process page. If you are not selected for verification, your financial aid award will be visible in InsideBC once the Financial Aid Office finishes its review of your file.
You will need to select a payment preference.
Check application steps for the whole process.
Contact Financial Aid
- Monday - Thursday: 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Saturday - Sunday: Closed
- Don't Forget Your Photo ID!
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00AM - 11:45 AM
- Saturday - Sunday: Closed
- BC ID number required
- All responses via your BC Assigned email
- Response time within 24-48 working hours of receipt
Federal School Code: 00118
Office of Financial Aid
1801 Panorama Dr.
Bakersfield, CA 93305