The Pathway to Law Program at Bakersfield College is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in law and provides a solid foundation for those who wish to continue their studies at a four-year university or law school.
As a student in the Pathway to Law Program, you will have access to a variety of resources and opportunities to help you achieve your goals. Our faculty members are highly qualified and experienced, and they are committed to helping you succeed in your academic and professional pursuits. They will provide you with individualized guidance and support to help you navigate your path towards a career in law. We look forward to working with you and helping you reach your full potential.
In partnership with The State Bar of California, the Pathway to Law School initiative at Bakersfield College enhances opportunities and advancement in the legal profession for diverse populations, particularly those who have been underrepresented in the practice of law.
- Counseling and Mentoring
- Exposure to careers in the law
- Networking opportunities
- LSAT prep support
- Law-related activities
- Financial aid counseling
- Prescribed course credits will transfer to participating schools
- Waived application fees for admission to the participating law schools
- Special attention regarding college and law school applications at participating schools
- Upon completion of the programs, students will be designated as a California LAW Scholar
Why study Law?
Studying law explores many aspects of human life and allows you to develop a range of skills. Legal training fosters a broad and deep understanding of the law as well as develops abstract and critical thinking, practical problem-solving skills, and strong communication skills. The legal profession offers professional growth, opportunities, intellectual challenge, social activism empowerment, financial rewards, prestige, and personal fulfillment in diverse areas such as: criminal law, corporate law, real estate law, tax law, family law, education law, patent law, product liability law and many other areas.
The Pathway to Law School program is a pre-law program of study that prepares students for further education and careers in the legal field. It is not a specific major, but rather a set of courses and experiences that provide a foundation in legal studies and help students develop skills that are essential for success in law school and the legal profession.
While a pre-law program is not required for admission to law school, it can be beneficial for students who are interested in pursuing a career in law. The Pathway to Law School Program can help students develop critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as an understanding of the legal system and the role of lawyers in society.
Overall, the Pathway to Law School Program provides a strong foundation for students who wish to continue their education in law school and pursue careers as attorneys, judges, paralegals, or other professionals in the legal field.
Is it right for Me?
The Pathway to Law School Program is a good fit for students who have a strong interest in the law and legal studies, and who are committed to pursuing a career in the legal field. Here are some characteristics of students who may excel in studying law:
- Strong analytical skills: Those with strong critical thinking and analytical skills are well-suited for studying law. Legal studies often involve analyzing complex information, and students able to think critically and evaluate arguments will be able to excel in this field.
- Excellent communication skills: Effective communication is essential in the legal profession, you will need strong writing and public speaking.
- Attention to detail: Legal work often involves detailed and nuanced analysis of facts and evidence, you will need the ability to pay close attention to detail to be successful in legal careers.
- Strong work ethic: Pre-law courses can be challenging, and law school is notoriously rigorous. You will need a strong work ethic and be willing to put in the time and effort required to succeed.
- Passion for justice: You may be drawn to the legal field if you are passionate about justice and making a positive impact in your community. The Pathway to Law School Program can help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to pursue you goals and make a meaningful difference in the world.
Overall, students who are dedicated, motivated, and passionate about the law and legal studies are likely to excel in the Pathway to Law School Program and achieve success in their future careers.
You CAN Afford BC
Career paths and opportunities for lawyers are endless. A law degree can be used in traditional legal employment, non-traditional legal employment, and non-legal employment. Below are just some of the career paths that you can take with a law degree.
- Corporate Attorney
- Court Administrator
- Governmental Administrator
Some of the benefits of the Pathway to Law School Program at Bakersfield College is that the application fees for admission to participating law schools are waived. Students also will receive special attention regarding college and law school applications at these participating schools:
- Loyola Marymount Law School
- Pepperdine Caruso School of Law
- Santa Clara University School of Law
- University of California Berkeley School of Law
- University of California Davis School of Law
- University of California Irvine School of Law
- University of California Los Angeles School of Law
- University of San Francisco School of Law
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Catalog: Pathway to Law School
Academic Department: Public Safety Training
Career & Learning Pathway: Social and Behavioral Sciences Pathway
Ensure you are taking the right classes to meet your education and/or career goals, meet with the Educational Advisor or Faculty Lead for the Pathway to Law School Program to create your Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP).