Work Experience and Internships

General Information

Work Experience is a course that allows you to earn college credit through the experience you obtain at your worksite. To enroll, you MUST be currently employed or working in an unpaid volunteer position AND your position MUST be related to your major in order to be considered eligible.

If you are not currently employed, please email the Career Education Department at to review your eligibility for Internship Placement.

Application Process

In order to participate in the Work Experience program the following steps are REQUIRED and are the responsibility of the student. You must complete the required steps in order to ensure your enrollment in the course. Once you have completed all steps, you will be contacted by an assigned Instructor who will coordinate completion of your coursework so that you may earn credit and a grade.

If you have difficulty completing these steps, please contact the Work Experience office at (661) 395-4550 or stop by the office located in the Family and Consumer Education (FACE) Building, Room 16 (view campus map).

  1. Currently employed, volunteering or placed at an approved internship site
  2. Enroll in the appropriate course using InsideBC
  3. Read the Work Experience Handbook
  4. Participate in a MANDATORY Orientation - this will be scheduled by your Instructor

What is an Internship and how do I qualify?

A semester based experiential learning experience where students can apply what they are learning in the classroom and put it into practice in real industry situations. Students who are enrolled in a Career Education pathway can take advantage of the internship placement opportunities. Placement must align with your chosen CTE Major and you must meet the minimum qualifications in order to be considered.

Please visit the Career Education office (FACE 16) or call (661) 395-4550 to make an appointment with a Job Development Specialist. Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to complete any necessary paperwork and bring an updated resume.

*Placement is NOT guaranteed. For more information, refer to the Student FAQ.


Do you have an internship opportunity for our students? If you are interested in setting up your facility as an internship placement site, please call (661) 395-4550 for more information.

If you are looking to fill a vacant position and would like to advertise to Bakersfield College students, please post your opening to our online job board Jobspeaker.

Major Courses

Course availability varies from semester to semester and not all majors are currently approved. The following majors are approved for work experience/internships:

Agriculture, Nutrition and Culinary Arts

  • Ag Business (AGBS B48WE)
  • Animal Science (ANSC B48WE)
  • Crop Science (CRPS B48WE)
  • Food Service (FDSV B48WE)
  • Forestry (FORE B48WE)
  • Ornamental Horticulture (ORNH B48WE)
  • Mechanical Ag (MCAG B48WE) *Restricted


  • Digital Media (ART B48WE) *Restricted
  • Journalism (JRNL B48WE) *Restricted


  • Business Administration (BSAD B48WE)
  • Computer Science (COMP B48WE)


  • Child Development (CHDV B48WE)


  • Nursing (NURS B48WE) *Restricted
  • Public Health (PBHS B48WE) *Restricted

Industrial Technology

  • Architecture (ARCH B48WE)
  • Automotive (AUTO B48WE) *Restricted
  • Industrial Drawing (INDR B48WE) *Restricted
  • Industrial Technology (INDT B48WE)
  • Manufacturing (MFGT B48WE)
  • Welding (WELD B48WE) *Restricted

*Restricted courses require approval from the instructor. If you are interested in enrolling in a restricted course please contact the Career Education department at (661) 395-4550 for more information.