KCCD Student Trustee
KCCD Student Trustee
- Must report to the Executive Board and General Session.
- The Student Trustee, as applicable, shall be responsible for representing students of the KCCD at the Board of Trustees' meetings and interfacing with the student body.
- The KCCD Student Trustee is expected to read agenda materials in advance of the Board of Trustees meetings and participate in open sessions at all regularly scheduled meetings
- The KCCD Student Trustee is a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees; entitled to the same monthly stipend, and travel to the annual CCLC student trustee conference.
- During the service as a student member of the Board, the Student Trustee will earn a stipend of $300 per month for attending meetings of the Board of Trustees and mileage reimbursements on pre-approved campus visitations outside of the Ridgecrest service area. There will be deductions for Federal and State taxes
Board Meetings and Why You Should Care
The Board of Trustees typically holds a monthly meeting at one of the three KCCD colleges. For updated information on Board Meetings, please visit the Board Meetings website. Some of the most important programs, dates, and expenses are approved by the Board of Trustees.
KCCD Student Trustees
- June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2015, Bakersfield College: Mr. Alex Dominguez
- June 1, 2015 - May 31, 2016, Cerro Coso Community College: Ms. Lily Nelson
- June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017, Porterville College: Mr. Jose
- June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018, Bakersfield College: Ms. Rayven Acosta-Webb
- June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019, Cerro Coso Community College: Mr. Sawyer Chrisman
- June 1, 2019 - May 31, 2020, Porterville College:
- June 1, 2020 - May 31, 2021, Bakersfield College: Ms. Rayven Acosta-Webb
- June 1, 2021 - May 31, 2022, Bakersfield College - Mr. GIan Gayatao
- June 1, 2022 - May 31, 2023, Bakersfield College - Ms. Shehrazad Barraj
- June 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024, Bakersfield College - Mrs. Johanna Guzman
KCCD Student Trustee Election Process
By applying for a position, you are considered a candidate for the position and must meet the requirements of eligibility for the office which is that you are a student at one of the three colleges within the District and are taking at least 5 (five) units.
Per KCCD Board Policies and Procedures BP 2105 and BP/AP 2105, the student member shall be elected by all the students of the student body in a general election held for that purpose. Normally, an election will be held in the Spring semester so that the office is filled by June 1. The student member may be recalled by all the students of the student body in an election held for that purpose in accordance with administrative procedures established by the District Chancellor.
Candidates for the position may nominate themselves or be nominated by others by filing of an application certifying that the candidate is eligible for service under the criteria set forth in California law and these policies. The election will be conducted in accordance with administrative procedures established by the District Chancellor.
What does the KCCD Student Trustee do?
The KCCD Student Trustee offers a student's perspective and advice to the KCCD Board of Trustees at monthly and special Board meetings. The student trustee is educated on upcoming programs, policies, and expenses that will be presented t the Board for approval. Using knowledge collected from the college's history, administrators, faculty, and staff but most importantly the students.
Who is the KCCD Student Trustee?
The KCCD Student Trustee is a student member of the student body from one of the three KCCD colleges. One student will serve as an advisory voting member of the KCCD Board of Trustees.
How is the Student Trustee elected at KCCD?
The Student Trustee shall be voted upon by the student population within the Kern Community College District. The voting occurs during the spring SGA General Elections at each institution preceding the term of service, and commences their term of office at the first KCCD Board of Trustees Meeting in June. If no student candidate runs for Student Trustee during the Spring elections, an appointment may be made following a district-wide posting and application period of two weeks, open to all eligible students at any institution.
Requirements for an Elected Officer
According to California Ed Code 76061, a student who is elected to serve as an officer in the student government of a community college shall meet both of the following requirements:
- The student shall be enrolled in the community college at the time of the election, and throughout his or her term, with a minimum of five semester units, or its equivalent.
- The student shall meet and maintain the minimum standards of scholarship prescribed for community college students by the community college district.
Filing for Elections:
- Each candidate must have a cumulative College GPA of at least 2.0.
- Any candidate on disciplinary, academic, or social probation will not be eligible for candidacy.
The duties of the Student Trustee include, but are not limited to the following:
- The Student Trustee, as applicable, shall be responsible for representing students of KCCD at the Board of Trustees' meetings and interfacing with the student body.
- The KCCD Student Trustee is expected to read agenda materials in advance of the Board of Trustees meetings and participate in open sessions at all regularly scheduled meetings.
- The KCCD Student Trustee is an advisory voting member of the Board of Trustees.
- Travel to the annual CCLC student trustee conference during the Summer semester.