- Mark headers (rows and columns, process will depend on software)
- Do not break across pages
- Best not to merge cells, this can be very confusing
- Put table title before the table
- Add a table summary for complex tables
Making Tables Accessible Procedures
Prevent breaking across pages
Select the entire table.
Right click on the crosshairs icon at the top left.
Select “Table Properties.”
Navigate to the “Row” tab.
Under options, deselect the checkbox in front of “Repeat as header row at the top of each page.”
Select the top header row (or all top header rows if more than one).
Right click and select “Table Properties.”
Under Options, select the checkbox in front of “Repeat as header row at the top of each page.”
Adding a Table Summary
- Click inside your table or select the whole table and right click the crosshairs icon on the upper left of the table.
- Select “Table Properties” > “Alt Text” tab.
- Type your table summary in the Description box. This will retain the information if you create a PDF from your Word document.