EMLS (English for Multilingual Students)
The English for Multilingual Students (EMLS) program welcomes local bilingual/bicultural students seeking to improve their language skills, as well as English language learners from around the world. The program is designed to help non-native speakers of English improve their language skills and succeed in college-level courses. The program focuses on reading, writing, and critical thinking in English and provides students with a strong foundation in academic English. Through the program, students develop skills in grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and cultural awareness. Many of our courses are offered tuition free in a non-credit (NC) format.
What is English for Multilingual Students (EMLS)?
EMLS is a program designed to help non-native speakers of English develop their language skills, in both general and academic contexts. EMLS courses focus on improving reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in English, with an emphasis on academic language and critical thinking. The program aims to support multilingual students as they navigate the challenges of studying a new language and culture and to help them succeed in college-level courses.
The program aims to empower multilingual students and help them achieve success in their academic and professional pursuits. The EMLS program also offers a transfer-level composition course that is designed to support Bakersfield College's multilingual student population.
Is EMLS right for Me?
If English is your second language and you are interested in improving your language skills in a general or academic context, this program is right for you. This program is beneficial for individuals who are planning to enroll in college-level courses in English, or who are already enrolled and struggling with the language demands of their coursework. The program is also useful for individuals who are interested in improving their English skills for personal or professional reasons. We offer several certificates of competency you may earn and provide to potential or current employers. Additionally, the program may be particularly helpful for multilingual students who are adjusting to a new cultural and linguistic environment and seeking support in developing their academic English skills.
Here are some key traits and skills that would make someone a good fit for studying English for Multilingual Students:
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to take risks
- Time management skills
- Basic Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Introduction Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Intermediate Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Advanced Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Listening/Speaking Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Reading Certificate of Competency (NC)
- Writing Certificate of Competency (NC)
You CAN Afford BC
Here are some careers that someone with an English for Multilingual Students Certificate of Competency might pursue:
- Interpreter/Translator: An EMLS certificate can be a great foundation for a career in interpreting or translation. Interpreters help individuals communicate across language barriers in a variety of settings, such as legal, medical, or business contexts. Translators convert written material from one language to another, often for publishing or marketing purposes.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher: An EMLS certificate can also be a good start for a career in ESL teaching. ESL teachers work with non-native speakers of English to help them develop their language skills, often in school or community-based settings.
- International Business Professional: As the global economy continues to grow, there is a growing demand for professionals who can work effectively across cultures and languages. An EMLS certificate can help prepare individuals for careers in international business, including roles such as international sales representative, global marketing manager, or cultural liaison.
- Social Services Professional: Social services professionals, such as counselors or social workers, may work with clients who speak languages other than English. An EMLS certificate can help prepare individuals for working with multilingual populations, including understanding cultural nuances and effective communication strategies.
- Content Creator: In today's digital age, there is a growing demand for content creators who can produce content in multiple languages. An EMLS certificate can help prepare individuals for careers in content creation, including roles such as social media manager, blogger, or web content creator.
Overall, an English for Multilingual Students Certificates of Competency can provide a foundation for a variety of careers that involve working with multilingual populations or across cultures and languages.
Academic Department: English for Multilingual Students
Career & Learning Pathway: Arts, Communication & Humanities
Not sure where to start? Let us help.
Meet with a Counselor
Call (661) 395-4421.