Continuing International Students

Two international students on a bench on campus.

International Student Services (ISS)

International student by the science building.Academic Counseling for International Students

Our team can help you make decisions about your academic goals such as transferring to a university or earning a degree or certificate. International students must meet every semester with the ISS advisor. Counselors and Advisors care about you as a whole person and are here to guide, listen and provide motivation and support.

How to Book an Appointment

  • Walk-In Advising (no appointment needed) - Center for Student Success (CSS), first floor
  • Appointments: Schedule 30 minutes appointment with ISS Advisor at least one day in advance. Phone: (661) 395-4078

Maintaining International Student Status

Maintaining your International Student status is important. If you are not compliant with International Student regulations, termination may occur.

Full-time Enrollment

International Students are required to maintain full-time enrollment and continue academic progress toward completion of their degree program.

International Students can only count one course of online coursework toward the full-time enrollment requirement.

International Students are not allowed to drop below full-time enrollment prior to meeting with the ISS Advisor.

Address/Phone Number Reporting

International Students are required to maintain a valid local U.S. address, overseas address, U.S. telephone number, overseas telephone number, and e-mail address at all times during their studies at Bakersfield College. Upon arrival to BC:

  1. Sign in to insideBC
  2. Select MyBanWeb menu dropdown in the top left window of the screen
  3. Select Update Address
  4. Click Change under Mailing Address
  5. Enter your updated information
  6. Click Save
  7. Select 'Update Contact Information'
  8. Enter your updated information
  9. Click Save
  10. Next, update ISS and SEVIS, details below.

Updating ISS and SEVIS

Complete the Address Update form for International Students and submit it to the International Student Affairs Office.

Note: Updating your contact information in InsideBC is very important. Bakersfield College cannot validate your arrival and International Student status with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security until your information has been updated.

Valid Passport & I-20

International Students must maintain a valid passport and I-20 at all times. Your passport must always be valid for at least 6 months into the future.

Program Completion & Transfer Opportunities

As an international student studying at Bakersfield College you have the exceptional opportunity to transfer to esteemed institutions such as the University of California (UC) campuses and the California State University (CSU) system. This pathway provides a seamless transition from community college to a four-year university, offering you a world-class education. We encourage you to explore this incredible opportunity and begin planning your transfer to a UC or CSU campus.

How can you prepare for transfer?

  • Meet with Academic Pathway Counselor/Advisors
  • Research Transfer Requirements
  • Attend Transfer Pathway workshops & events

Services for Continuing Students

SEVIS Transfer

If you have been admitted to an International Student program at another U.S. institution that will begin within 5 months of your last date of enrollment at BC or your last date of OPT employment, you must request a SEVIS Transfer Out from ISS to transfer your SEVIS record to your new institution so they can issue you a new I-20. To request a SEVIS Transfer Out meet with your ISS advisor. International Student Transfer-Out Request

Transfer Eligibility

  • You are in a legal International Student status
  • You are a full-time student at BC (minimum 12 units)
  • You have an Acceptance letter from the school with your name and the term of your admission on school letterhead
  • All required fees are paid in full to BC

Travel Authorization

International Students traveling outside of the U.S. must have a valid travel authorization signature endorsed on page 2 of their BC I-20 to re-enter the U.S. in valid International Student status. Each travel authorization signature is valid for one year from the date it was last signed and must be valid at the time of re-entry to the U.S. International Students must present the following documents at their port of entry to re-enter the U.S.:

  • Valid Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months into the future)
  • Valid International Student VISS (Canadian citizens exempt)
  • Valid BC I-20 with travel authorization signature

To request a new travel authorization signature, please email your ISS advisor at least 10 business days prior to your scheduled travel date (no appointment required).


International Students are eligible to work on campus part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time during vacation terms (e.g. Summer Semester).

On-campus employment may include student positions at the campus library, tutoring, bookstore, food/dining services, etc.

Note: International Students are not eligible for federally-funded work-study positions.

International Students may not engage in off-campus employment (including paid and unpaid internships) before receiving proper employment authorization from BC ISS Office.

Social Security Letter

A Social Security Number (SSN) is required to receive wages, file taxes, and receive some types of government services in the U.S. Private industries such as mobile phone retailers, banks, apartment management companies, etc. may also require that you have a SSN to utilize their services.

International Students are only eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) if they have a paid job offer through on-campus employment or authorized off-campus employment. To request a SSN:

  1. Obtain an Employment Verification/Offer Letter
  2. Email your ISS advisor requesting a Social Security Letter
  3. ISS advisor will set up an email to discuss all documents needed to schedule an appointment at the Social Security Office.