Continuing International Students
International Student Affairs (ISA)
Academic Counseling for International Students
Our team can help you make decisions about your academic goals such as transferring to a university or earning a degree or certificate. International students must meet every semester with the ISA advisor. Counselors and Advisors care about you as a whole person and are here to guide, listen and provide motivation and support.
How to Book an Appointment
- Walk-In Advising (no appointment needed) - Center for Student Success (CSS), first floor
- Appointments: Schedule 30 minutes appointment with ISA Advisor at least one day in advance. Phone: (661) 395-4078
Maintaining International Student Status
Maintaining your International Student status is important. If you are not compliant with International Student regulations, termination may occur.
International Students are required to maintain full-time enrollment and continue academic progress toward completion of their degree program.
International Students can only count one course of online coursework toward the full-time enrollment requirement.
International Students are not allowed to drop below full-time enrollment prior to meeting with the ISA Advisor.
International Students are required to maintain a valid local U.S. address, overseas address, U.S. telephone number, overseas telephone number, and e-mail address at all times during their studies at Bakersfield College. Upon arrival to BC:
- Sign in to insideBC
- Select MyBanWeb menu dropdown in the top left window of the screen
- Select Update Address
- Click Change under Mailing Address
- Enter your updated information
- Click Save
- Next, update ISA and SEVIS, details below.
Updating ISA and SEVIS
Complete the Address Update form for International Students and submit it to the International Student Affairs Office.
Note: Updating your contact information in InsideBC is very important. Bakersfield College cannot validate your arrival and International Student status with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security until your information has been updated.
Valid Passport & I-20
International Students must maintain a valid passport and I-20 at all times. Your passport must always be valid for at least 6 months into the future.
Program Completion & Transfer Opportunities
As an international student studying at Bakersfield College you have the exceptional opportunity to transfer to esteemed institutions such as the University of California (UC) campuses and the California State University (CSU) system. This pathway provides a seamless transition from community college to a four-year university, offering you a world-class education. We encourage you to explore this incredible opportunity and begin planning your transfer to a UC or CSU campus.
- Meet with Academic Pathway Counselor/Advisors
- Research Transfer Requirements
- Attend Transfer Pathway workshops & events
Services for Continuing Students
If you have been admitted to an International Student program at another U.S. institution that will begin within 5 months of your last date of enrollment at BC or your last date of OPT employment, you must request a SEVIS Transfer Out from ISA to transfer your SEVIS record to your new institution so they can issue you a new I-20. To request a SEVIS Transfer Out meet with your ISA advisor. International Student Transfer-Out Request
- You are in a legal International Student status
- You are a full-time student at BC (minimum 12 units)
- You have an Acceptance letter from the school with your name and the term of your admission on school letterhead
- All required fees are paid in full to BC
International Students traveling outside of the U.S. must have a valid travel authorization signature endorsed on page 2 of their BC I-20 to re-enter the U.S. in valid International Student status. Each travel authorization signature is valid for one year from the date it was last signed and must be valid at the time of re-entry to the U.S. International Students must present the following documents at their port of entry to re-enter the U.S.:
- Valid Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid International Student Visa (Canadian citizens exempt)
- Valid BC I-20 with travel authorization signature
To request a new travel authorization signature, please email your ISA advisor at least 10 business days prior to your scheduled travel date (no appointment required).
International Students are eligible to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the academic year and full-time during vacation terms (e.g Summer Semester).
On-campus employment may include student positions at the campus library, tutoring, bookstore, food/dining services, etc.
Note: International Students are not eligible for federally-funded work-study positions.
International Students may not engage in off-campus employment (including paid and unpaid internships) before receiving proper employment authorization from BC ISA Office.
Social Security Letter
A Social Security Number (SSN) is required to receive wages, file taxes, and receive some types of government services in the U.S. Private industries such as mobile phone retailers, banks, apartment management companies, etc. may also require that you have a SSN to utilize their services.
International Students are only eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) if they have a paid job offer through on-campus employment or authorized off-campus employment. To request a SSN:
- Obtain an Employment Verification/Offer Letter
- Email your ISA advisor requesting a Social Security Letter
- ISA advisor will set up an email to discuss all documents needed to schedule an appointment at the Social Security Office.