NextUp provides support services for current and former foster youth students who were in foster care on or after their 13th birthday. NextUp supports our Bakersfield College foster youth students to achieve their education goals. NextUp supports students with counseling/advising, book support, meal support, transportation assistance, emergency housing assistance, employment assistance, and other direct support that our students need to succeed at Bakersfield College.
Students that participate in NextUp receive the personalized support and services listed below:
- Priority Registration: First to register before other students on campus
- Counseling: Counselors will meet with you every semester for advising
- Additional services!
Eligibility and Application
- In court ordered foster care on/after 13th birthday.
- Enrolled in 9 units at time of entry.
- Eligible for California College Promise Grant A, B, or C with an EFC of 0.
- Under the age of 26 at the start of the academic year.
- Be a California Resident - AB 540/CA DREAMers are welcome to apply
- Complete an EOPS Application and attend a mandatory orientation
Apply to NextUp
- Complete the EOPS application
- Attend orientation
- Provide proof of dependency
- Email NextUp at email@example.com
- Chafee Grant: Chafee Grant Main Website
- FAFSA: FAFSA Application Website
- California Dream Act Application: Dream Act Website
- Webgrants4students (CalGrant and Chafee Grant status): WebGrants Website
- CalFresh Application: CalFresh Website
- CA Foster Ombudsperson: CA Foster Ombudsperson Website or 1-877-846-1602
- Dream Center: Dream Center Website or (661)636-4488
- Foster Youth Success Initiatives (Chancellor's Office): Foster Youth Success Initiatives Website
- Independent Living Program: Independent Living Program Website
- Foster Youth Rights: Foster Youth Rights Website