1. Meet with your counselor early and often to discuss your transfer plans.
2. Meet with representatives from your target institutions to ensure that the institution will be the right fit for you.
3. Decide on your major by the end of your second semester at Bakersfield College. Utilize Career Center services to help you with the process.
4. Visit your target institutions even if they are right down the road. Is it a good fit for you? Is your major offered at the campus?
5. Attend Transfer Center workshops to learn how to arrange your educational plan to best maximize your time and successfully transfer.
6. Take Math and English courses early. Don't wait until the last minute to take these core courses.
7. Do well in your courses. GPAs are easy to bring down, but difficult to bring up.
8. Know how to use the college catalog – course descriptions, prerequisites and policies are information you will need to plan your time here.
9. Talk to faculty, students, administrators and staff about their experiences in college so you have an understanding of what to expect.
10. Use the services of the Transfer Center. We are here to support you with your transfer goals.
If information you are seeking is not listed here, you are encouraged to drop
by the Transfer Center located in the Student Services Building or make an appointment with a Bakersfield College counselor by calling