Bakersfield College

Bakersfield College student


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z


AP (Advanced Placement)
Students taking advanced placement courses in high school may choose to take an exam and depending upon their score and college policies, receive college credit. Please be aware that credit at one college does not necessarily mean you will get credit at a transfer college.
When a student is denied admission to a CSU or UC, that student may challenge that decision in writing.
Articulation is a term used to describe the process that facilitates the transition of a student from one educational institution to another, or from one level of education to the next with minimum duplication of coursework.
A website that assists students with transferring from a California Community college to a California State University or University of California


Bachelors Degree (Baccalaureate)
A bachelor’s degree is an undergraduate academic degree awarded for a course of study or major that generally lasts four years.


College Catalog
A book published by a college describing requirements for admission, degrees and services offered, and course descriptions.
California Community College


A specific unit that usually focuses on one specific field of academics, e.g. psychology or history


A course needed for graduation credit, but not one of the specific course requirements.


Fee Waiver
A form available to students whose eligibility is primarily determined by membership in a family whose annual income falls within guidelines based on number of dependents and family income. The Fee Waiver is submitted instead of money when applying for college admission.


General Education Requirements
(Also called Breadth Requirements): Courses selected from several divisions required for a college degree. These are completed the first two years of college. The second two years involve coursework in major and minor areas.
GPA (Grade Point Average)
A student’s average grade, computed on a four point scale. An “A” count as 4; a “B” as 3; a “C” as 2; a “D” as 1; an “F” as 0. Each student has two GPAs: one for the semester and one for cumulative GPA, which includes previous semesters.


The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum or IGETC is an educational plan for California community college students designed to facilitate transferring to a four-year public university. Completion of the IGETC will permit a student to transfer without the need to take additional lower-division courses, as well as demonstrate preparedness and ability to handle college level work.
Impacted Program
A college degree program that receives more applications than it can accommodate. Therefore, it can be temporarily closed to new students, or may require supplementary paperwork and/or screening of student records


Lower Division
Courses taught in the freshman and sophomore years of college. California community colleges only teach lower division courses.


The main area of study in college, usually requiring about one year in a planned series of courses in a four year program.
Approximately 18 credits in an area outside a student’s major department.


Quarter System
The division of the academic year into four equal parts.


Re-entry Student
An older, returning student.


Semester System
A division of the academic year into two equal parts.
Statement of Intent to Register: This is the form that must be returned to the college of your choice by a specified date, usually at the beginning of June for transfer students. It confirms a student’s intent to register at the college and reserves a spot.


A copy of your official record of grades and courses from time of entry.
Transfer Courses
College courses giving credit that may be transferred to another college
Transfer Students
College students who transfer from one college to another, usually at the end of the sophomore year. Changing colleges during the junior or senior year, when the student is completing major requirements, is not recommended.
A fee that is paid for instruction in a school, college or university.


College student who has not yet received a bachelor’s degree.
College courses are assigned a value in what are called “credits” or “units.” The number of units assigned to a course corresponds to the number of hours that a student will attend class for that course.
Upper Division
Courses designated for the junior and senior years of college.


WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges)
The accrediting agency for all UC’s, CSU’s and California community colleges.