Bakersfield College

Bakersfield College student

Transfer FAQs

California has two public university systems. The UCs are research-based institutions and emphasize a theory based approach to learning, and offers doctorate programs in most disciplines, along with graduate opportunities in medicine, dentistry, business, law, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine. The CSU offers traditional and career specific majors, with graduate opportunities at the Master’s level.
The time it takes to transfer depends on the number of units you complete each term, and the minimum number of units that the college or university you transfer to requires for admission
Time to degree is a result determined by the number of requirements you complete prior to transfer, the number of requirements remaining to be completed once you transfer, and the amount of units you complete each term. If you complete all of the GE, and lower division major requirements, and a total of 60 transferable semester units, and continue at the university you transfer to full-time, you should be able to graduate in two years after you transfer.
Both the UC and CSU systems give admission priority to upper-division transfer students (60 transferable units or more) and at this time do not accept lower division transfers. Some campuses only accept upper-division transfer students. You need to consult the college or university for more information. Private, out-of-state, and international schools vary and you should check with each regarding their admission policies
Yes, you can complete some, if not all, of your requirements. Again, since requirement are determined by the college or university that you transfer to, you need to check with each institution
No. The Bakersfield College Catalog marks courses that transfer to the UC and CSU systems. A course marked with a UC or CSU designation tells you that this course transfers.
Most private schools will accept transfer students using high school grades (but sometimes requirements do change, so check with each school) and test scores if they wish to transfer before completing 30 semester units. The UC and CSU system do not require high school grades and est scores when a student transfers as a junior, 60 or more transferable units.
In most cases, W’s are not a focus of admission decisions unless there is an excessive number of W’s over a longer course of time. This signals to a university that you might not be mature enough to handle the academic rigor of baccalaureate study. Colleges and universities want students who have a proven record of perseverance.
For the University of California and the California State University, there is no problem taking general education or electives on a credit/no credit basis. In rare instances, a credit is factored into your GPA as a “C”. You must again check with each college or university you are interested in for the specific requirements. It is almost never permitted to take a course needed in your major or for general education for CR/NC.
To “minor” in a subject means to take a prescribed number of courses relating to a specific subject, in addition to your major courses. You do not study the field with the same depth as you do when you major. Not all schools offer minors so be sure to do your research
The UC and CSU systems are very accommodating to part-time, slowly progressing students, other institutions put a great deal of importance on a strong and rigorous curriculum each term. Check with each school to which you are interested in transferring.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, there is a place for you at one of the UC campuses. California community college transfer students receive first priority over other transfer applicants to UC, including applicants from four-year institutions and the University’s own intercampus transfers. Research the UC Admissions website for eligibility and admission requirements.
There are some colleges and universities that guarantee admission if you complete a specific program and earn a specific GPA. You can find the colleges and universities that we have partnerships with, and the requirements, by clicking on the TAA button.
Your chances for admissions to the University of California increase significantly when you apply to several campuses. 90% of students who apply to four or more UC campuses are accepted. Completing major preparation coursework while at Bakersfield College can also make you a more competitive applicant.
This can be tricky and you need to ask lots of questions. It is suggested that you complete general education through the IGETC or CSU general education breath and get it certified before you transfer. If you transfer without certification, you run the risk of additional university GE requirements. The CSU system allow students to attend their campuses and a community college at the same time. So you can be completing your GEs at a community college while enrolled at a CSU if you need to. But remember some of your GEs must be completed before transfer for admission purposes. Check the CSU Mentor website for details.
Use this website, check the Transfers tab on InsideBC, meet with a Bakersfield College counselor and stop by the Transfer Center for help.

If you think it’s easy to change majors after transfer you may be wrong. For the UC system, you will need to declare a major. Each campus has its own policy regarding changing majors so you will need to check with a university representative. For impacted programs, most campuses will not let you switch to the impacted program after transferring.

For the CSU system you may transfer without declaring a major to some campuses. To be admitted to impacted programs, however, you must apply to the program. The CSU system strongly encourages students to declare a major by the time they have 75 (semester) units earned.

Private, out-of-state, and international colleges and universities vary in their policies. Consult with each.

In some cases, yes, and in some cases, no. The ability to change a major completely depends on the rules governing major changes at the college or university that you will be attending. Don’t assume this is easy to do. In fact, sometimes it can be impossible.
Not usually. For the UC and CSU systems, no. The AA degree is not required or considered as an admissions requirement. Many students choose to obtain an AA degree prior to transferring for personal or professional reasons. The program of study for the AA degree can overlap with the lower division preparation for transfer as with the new AA-T degrees. If your objective is to transfer, however, be sure to seek the advice of your counselor for the appropriate program of study. Privates, out-of-state and international schools vary. So, check with each.
This varies by university so check with each. Generally for the CSU and UC systems, if all your work has been completed at a community college, then they will let you apply 60 transferable units from a community College toward your Bachelor’s Degree, and will grant you a total of 70 transferable units (but will give you all of your course credit).
Sometimes, to the CSU and UC system strongly encourage major prep. Many of the UCs and CSUs completion are now admitting upper- division transfer students only, 60+ transferable units complete before transfer. Private, out-of-state, and international universities vary, check with each.
For the UC and CSU systems, no. Prior to transferring all students must complete at least one transferable math course. Some majors and programs require more than one math class. Private, out-of-state, and international schools vary, check with each.
The courses you need to take at Bakersfield College are determined by the college or university you plan to transfer to and each has minimum admission requirements. Most students complete either the CSU general education breath pattern or the IGETC before transferring.
Usually, if you have only attended a community college, no. But if you have attended a university or college which awards bachelor’s degrees, there could be limits, and you need to consult with the transfer counselor.
The GPA necessary for admission varies from campus to campus and from major to major.
Any Bakersfield College counselor can help evaluate your transcripts. You will need to stop by the counseling office and make an appointment. Remember, however, that ultimately it is the college or universities you transfer to that must tell you which courses they will accept, not Bakersfield College. However, our counselors are highly trained in this area and can give you a good idea on where you stand and help you plan accordingly.
This depends on the deadlines given by the institution you are applying to, and the term for which you are applying. The CSU and UC priority application period is from October 1 - November 30 (CSU) and November 1-30 (UC).
All college applications are online.
Most UC and CSU campuses accept applications for the fall semester only.
You would need to apply next year for the UCs. For the CSU system, go to Applications past the filing deadline are accepted on a campus-by-campus basis.
If you provide false information, you could potentially have your admission or degree revoked
Many courses transfer to Bakersfield College, but if you want to know if the course transfers to a university or college, check on the website.
Regardless of the AA you earn, you may transfer with a different major. You have to be sure to complete all the requirements for your educational goal and plan accordingly.
The CSU system is very accommodating to students that work full time. Also, University of La Verne, National University and Phoenix University are accommodating. But, more and more colleges and universities are accommodating students who must work full-time. Ask
Yes. There are many students that are concurrently enrolled. Ask your CSUB advisor for more information. ..