Bakersfield College's physical campuses are closed. All classes and student services have moved online for the remainder of Summer 2020.
Stay up to date on the response for COVID-19.

Bakersfield College

EOPS/CARE graduation medallions


The Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE) Program promotes students' success by offering specialized services to Bakersfield College students who are single parents receiving public assistance (CalWORKs/TANF/Tribal TANF). As a supplemental component of EOP&S, this state-funded program provides educational and financial assistance.

Visit the EOP&S Program for further eligibility requirements and services.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it". ~ Michael Jordan ~

CARE Services Provided

EOPS Binder Awards

  • Priority registration: First to register before other students on campus
  • Book Vouchers: As funding permits and when not granted through the county
  • Bus Passes or Gas Card - As funding permits, must meet qualifications
  • School Supplies: As funding permits
  • Meal Vouchers: Must have financial need
  • Child Care Grants: As funding permits, must be in good financial aid standing
  • Tutoring: Obtain an extra tutoring session referral per class, per week
  • Comprehensive Student Educational Planning: Develop a student plan (CSEP) to succeed
  • University Campus Visits: Attend university campus tours
  • Caps & Gowns: FREE cap & gown for CARE graduates

CARE Eligibility & Application

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Recipient of CalWORKs/TANF/ Tribal TANF public assistance benefits for themselves or dependent(s)
  • Enrolled in a minimum of 9 units
  • Be a single parent and head of household
  • Student must be at least 18 years of age
  • Qualify for financial aid
  • Be a California Resident - AB 540/CA DREAMers are welcome to apply
  • Complete an EOP&S Application and attend a mandatory orientation

To Apply for CARE:

  1. Submit an application to the EOP&S Program
  2. Attend a mandatory orientation. Orientations are being moved online for Summer 2020. Email for more information.

Current CARE Students

To be in good standing with CARE:

  • Complete 1 EOP&S counseling contact during the semester
  • Complete a mid-semester survey and quiz for continuing EOP&S students
  • Follow requirements for EOP&S
  • Submit Progress Reports by Deadline (request EOP&S counselor to waive if GPA is 3.0 and above)

Pay close attention to your student email for updates from the EOP&S office.



Bakersfield College Child Development Center

  • The centers are licensed through the California Department of Social Services. All teachers are professionally trained in the field of early childhood education, and are certificated through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
  • Placement in the program is made according to state priorities and date of application. Apply online now! The program is designed for income eligible families who are enrolled in BC courses leading to a specific career/professional goal.

Community Action Partnership of Kern

  • Programs include Food Bank, Head Start, WIC and Friendship House. Check out all the CAPK Programs online at

Kern County Department of Human Services/Cal Fresh Program

Students interested in applying for the CalFresh program may call (661) 631-6062 to request an application by mail. Upon completion of the application and receipt from the county, the applicant will receive an appointment by mail. An application is also available online.

Kern County Help-Line: 661 336-5200, 1-800-273-2275 or 211

  • Links those in need to services available in the community such as food, clothing and shelter. 211 can be dialed from ANY phone line at no charge.

Catholic Social Services

  • Self-Referral Process: Catholic Social Services are available Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 12:00 and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm. The student must take an ID and Social Security card for every adult in the home requesting services and a Social Security card for every child. Students can call to request services.

Golden Empire Cleaners

  • A referral can be provided be contacting a School Counselor, Community Specialist or School Administrator where YOUR child attends school. The school representative will provide you with information on where to pick up your food and what you will need to take with you. A Gleaners Referral must be requested; otherwise, a Food Bank referral will be provided.
Kern Community College District