Welcome to Online Student Resources
Below you will find a plethora of links to information that you may find pertinent completing your quest, first and foremost, but most of all to completing your degree or coursework online.
Renegade Online Hub
About the Renegade Online Hub
Do you need help with your Online Course and/or Canvas? The Renegade Online Hub is here to help you resolve the technical issues you are experiencing with your online course. For more information please email the Renegade Online Hub or call the hub at 661-395-4477.
Important Resources for an Online Student and Canvas
How To Guides:
Renegade Hub Access During the Physical Campus Closure
Will the Renegade Hub be able to help me virtually?
The Renegade Hub is available to serve students virtually. You can reach us via email at email@example.com or text your issues to (661) 241-0659 at any time. Responses will be sent in the order messages are received. We will offer student support 7:00 am - 8:00 pm Monday thru Friday and 11:00 am - 4:00 pm on Saturdays. Depending on volume, it could take us one to two business days to get back to you, so please be patient.
What does the Hub help me with virtually?
The Hub will be able to answer questions regarding:
- Online issues
- ConferZoom support
If we can’t help you, then we will connect you with someone who can.
What are some ConferZoom resources?
What are some Canvas Resources?
Why online courses?
Online courses provide an opportunity for students to complete all course requirements from their home or office. Depending on the course, students may be required to take proctored or non-proctored examinations.
Participants will have the chance to interact with the instructor and other students, regardless of location, using a variety of technologies. Online courses allow students with non-traditional work schedules and/or home responsibilities to take college courses and pursue their education.
- have a basic understanding of computer usage
- know how to access the Internet
- have internet access
- know how to send and receive e-mail
- ability to access internet and e-mail daily
Accessing Online Courses
You will access your classes through InsideBC. After logging in, you'll find a toolbar at the top of the page with "My Courses." From there, you can select your various online courses.
Looking for Online Classes?
Bakersfield College offers over 190 online classes each semester. See the Class Schedule for semester length and late start classes.
Search Summer Online Classes
Our online classes are hosted in Canvas. To understand more about how to use Canvas, please go to the Canvas Student Guides.
Online Student Services
Here are some things that might be most relevant to you as an online student. However, a complete list of student services is available on the Student Services website.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Do I need to have a college-assigned email address to take an online class?
- Yes. You must have a college-assigned email address that is operational and that you check frequently. You can access your college-assigned email through InsideBC.
- What are the beginning and ending dates of online courses?
- Bakersfield College online courses follow the semester schedule. In most cases, online course materials may be accessed the first day of the semester. Online courses, generally, end during finals week. Some short term courses follow a slightly different schedule.
- How do I get my books?
- Books may be purchased at the Bookstore located on the main BC campus. Books can also be ordered through the online BC Bookstore. Some students are able to find books through other booksellers. Be sure you are purchasing the correct book and edition when not purchasing through the BC Bookstore.
- Can I access the syllabus before I register so I know what to expect?
- You must contact the appropriate instructor to receive the syllabi before the beginning of the semester. It is up to the instructor’s discretion to respond to students before the beginning of the semester.
- Why haven’t I heard from my instructor? The semester has already begun.
- It could be that your instructor will not respond until the first day of class, which is the first day of school. If you still have not heard from your instructor by that time, send another email to them.
- Is there technical support for online students?
- The Online Support Center is located at the KCCD Support page or by calling 1 (877) 382-3508. The Help Desk is supposed to provide assistance for: myBanWeb, Moodle, Wireless Access, Inside BC Portal (Luminis) or any Login/Password/Access issue. In some cases, your instructor may be able to answer your technical questions. If your instructor cannot help you with your question, he/she may forward your question to the technical support staff. These people can, in many cases, help the students solve their technical problem if it is directly related to their online course interface. Other issues, such as your computer malfunctioning, your Internet service failing, or difficulty with specific software are issues that our technical support personnel are not prepared to handle. Online students are expected to solve many computer issues on their own or with hired assistance for which they are responsible.
- I am on the waitlist for a specific course and I can’t login to my class...
- Students on the waiting list typically are not given access to the online class until after they move onto the official roll sheet. However, you should send an email to your instructor, if you haven’t already done so, with up-to-date contact information. Check your registration status daily so that you will know when you are moved to the official roll sheet, if that occurs.