Students must complete prerequisites before being accepted into the Nursing/Allied Health Program.
The Nursing/Allied Health office must receive all application forms and transcripts during the month of February (see Application Procedures). Forms received prior to or after these dates will not be accepted.
All prerequisites must be completed prior to the start of the Program with a “C” grade or higher. Priority is provided to students with all prerequisite courses completed at the time of submitting an application form.
- Proof of graduation from high school or an equivalent education
- BIOL B18 (Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology) at Bakersfield College or an equivalent course at another accredited college or completion of both BIOL B32 (Human Anatomy & Physiology I) and BIOL B33 (Human Anatomy & Physiology II)
- PSYC B1A (General Psychology) at Bakersfield College or an equivalent course at another accredited college.
- Eligibility for MATH B70 (Intermediate Algebra) as demonstrated by qualifying scores on the College assessment test or completion of MATH B60 (MATH BA) (Elementary Algebra) at Bakersfield College or an equivalent course at another accredited college with a “C” grade or higher.
- Eligibility for ENGL B1A (Expository Composition) as demonstrated by qualifying scores on the college assessment test or completion of ENGL B1 or ENGL B50 at Bakersfield College or equivalent course from another accredited college with a “C” or higher.
- Nurse Assistant certification – (Effective Fall 2016 admission)
- MEDS B60 (Medical Terminology) – highly recommended.
Note: Students desiring to continue their education and become a registered nurse need to refer to the prerequisites required for the Associate Degree Nursing Program.
Apply during the month of February
Bakersfield College Students with no other college courses:
Apply to the program during the February application period as follows:
- Submit an application form to the Nursing Program – please note, applications must be filled out completely, all information requested must be provided
- Submit either your unofficial or official Bakersfield College transcript showing all pre-requisite courses posted
- Bakersfield College transcripts must be received by the Nursing office prior to the last day February
- Failure to meet all application requirements/procedures will result in an incomplete application and will not be considered for selection
If you have taken courses from another college:
- Apply for Admission to Bakersfield College either in person at the Admissions and Records office or online at https://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/admissions/new-students
- Have your college transcript(s) evaluated by:
- Ordering an Official copy of your transcripts from your previous college(s);
- Submit the Official copy of your transcripts along with a form “Request for Evaluation”. You can obtain this form from the Admissions and Records office or online https://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/records/forms. Please note that the evaluation process will not start until all transcripts listed on the form is received and you have submitted the Request for Evaluation form.
Please note – having your transcripts evaluated takes 12-16 weeks and must be completed prior to the end of the application period.
- Obtain application form from the Allied Health Division office located in Room 178 of the Math-Science Building on the main campus OR find the printable application at the top of this page.
- Provide college transcripts as outlined above.
- Provide proof of 12th grade education by submitting one of the following:
- Proof of graduation from high school or equivalent education in the United States (GED) or (CHSPE).
- Foreign high school evaluated by an accepted agency in the United States.
- Proof of completion of Associate or Baccalaureate Degree in the United States.
- Application forms are valid only for the current available Program. Students not enrolled must complete an updated application form each enrollment period.
In the event the number of qualified students for the VN Program exceeds space available, the following selection process will be utilized. Students who are qualified for enrollment will enter in the order in which their names appear on the Program Waiting List.
An applicant’s position on this list will be determined by a random drawing of names by the Director, Assistant Director and one assistant.
To remain current on the waiting list, enrollment forms must be submitted prior to each enrollment semester until Program is entered.
Admission to the College
For further information concerning enrollment procedures at Bakersfield College, please contact the Counseling Center (661) 395-4421 or Office of Admissions and Records (661) 395-4301.
For information regarding assessment tests and services, contact the Assessment Center at (661) 395-4479.
Catalogs and Class Schedules can be found online at the Bakersfield College website. For information regarding Financial Aid and Scholarships contact (661) 395-4428.