About the Program
The Bakersfield College Paramedic Education Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). The Program is a non-degree granting, non-college credit, clock hour vocational education program. Successful completion of the program qualifies students for licensure testing with the National Registry of EMT’s as an EMT-Paramedic in the State of California.
The Program is divided into three phases: didactic, clinical and field training. The program is comprised of no less than 1090 hours.
The required minimum hourly breakdown is as follows:
450 didactic hours (390 didactic/classroom hours, 60 didactic skills lab hours)
160 clinical hours
480 field training hours (approximately forty 12-hour shifts)
Upon successful completion of the Paramedic Program, students are eligible to take the National Registry EMT-P examination for licensure as a Paramedic.
- COST OF PROGRAM
- Cost is estimated at $5,000.00 for the Paramedic Program which covers all program materials (excluding books, uniforms, physical examination fees and computer access fees which are to be purchased separately). There is a separate cost of $40.00 for the EMT-Paramedic Qualifying Entrance Exam. If a student desires a parking permit, there is also an additional charge.
- PROGRAM SUPPLY INFORMATION
- Students will be required to purchase uniforms, textbooks and selected equipment, provide transportation to off-campus clinical education sites and pay the program fees prior to the commencement of the Bakersfield College Paramedic Program. In addition to the fees listed, other paramedic expenses include any program application and testing fees not included in the tuition costs.
- PARAMEDIC PROGRAM CURRICULUM
- The program follows the DOT (Department of Transportation) Curriculum Standards.
- DIDACTIC PHASE
- Lecture presentations, return demonstrations, and workshops are utilized. Casses typically meet as scheduled from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., three days per week
- CLINICAL PHASE
- Students are scheduled and rotated through hospital clinical sites and function under direct supervision of a nurse or physician while rendering approved medical treatment to patients
- FIELD INTERNSHIP PHASE
- The student is assigned to a Bakersfield College approved paramedic preceptor. While in this rotation, the student will perform within the scope of practice of Kern County EMT-Paramedics, under the direct supervision of a licensed EMT – Paramedic who meets the Title 22 requirements for a paramedic preceptor in the State of California.
Arrangements for Field Internship will be made between the Field Internship Site and the student prior to admission into the program. It is the policy of this program that each student be sponsored” by a pre-approved Field Internship Site prior to entrance into the program.
The term sponsored” shall be defined as a guarantee between the student and the Field Internship Site that upon completion of the Clinical Internship portion of the paramedic training program, the student will have a paramedic internship with an approved Field Internship Preceptor.
- FIELD INTERNSHIP APPROVAL
- All Field Internship Sites and paramedic preceptors will be approved by the Paramedic Training Program Administration and local EMS authority prior to student placement.
- FIELD INTERNSHIP SITE REIMBURSEMENT
- Any reimbursement to Field Internship Preceptors or Field Internship Sites for providing a Field Internship will be discussed in any sponsorship contract between the student and the Field Internship Site. The Bakersfield College Paramedic Training Program will not be responsible for the maintenance of any Field Internship Sponsorship contract nor will it provide any reimbursement to Field Internship Preceptors or Field Internship Sites for providing Field Internships. The Paramedic Training Program will be made aware of any contractual or agreement obligation students enter with agencies offering a Field Internship Sponsorship.