Some of your favorite PHED classes may now be KINS, be sure to check KINS and PHED classes in the Spring 2022 Schedule.
COVID-19 and Health
While the COVID-19 crisis has increased our immediate awareness to prioritize immune health, this is a great time to be reminded about the importance of heart health. The pandemic is showing that a weak cardiovascular system increases our susceptibility for contracting the coronavirus, as well as increasing our chances of heart disease. According to the World Health Organization, cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the #1 cause of death globally, claiming 18 million deaths worldwide annually, accounting for one-third of all deaths.
In a guest editorial published in the Journal of American College of Cardiology, Keith C. Ferdinand, MD, AAC and Samar A. Nasser, PhD, MPH, PA-C state
"To stave off future unnecessary loss of life, the COVID-19 crisis must be seen as an opportunity to finally fully address [cardiovascular disease] disparities and the underlying structural factors."
With the increasing amount of data suggesting racial/ethnic and lower socioeconomic groups are being socially exposed to coronavirus and higher rate of incidence, the COVID-19 pandemic must be seen as an opportunity to fully address lifestyle as medicine: by eating the right foods, incorporating exercise activities in your daily routine, and being mindful of your mental health.
Four simple guidelines to improve your health:
- Increase consumption of fresh whole food vegetables and fruits.
- Decrease consumption of processed food (fast food, soda, refined sugar, and foods in a box, bag, or can).
- Increase movement activities and resistance strength training 5-6 days per week.
- Lesson stress and anxiety by knowing you're not in this alone, and seek mental health assistance if necessary.
To learn more about health and lifestyle as a medicine, sign up for upcoming Bakersfield College Kinesiology, Health, and Physical Education classes.
Kinesiology is the scientific study of human or non-human body movement. Kinesiology addresses physiological, biomechanical, and psychological dynamic principles and mechanisms of movement. Bakersfield College offers a Kinesiology Associate in Arts for Transfer which guarantees students admission to the CSU system (but not to a particular campus or major).
Types of Kinesiology
- Exercise Physiology - Study of the body systems
- Biomechanics - Study of the human body in motion through the principles of physics
- Exercise Psychology - Science of the mind and behavior
- Exercise Sociology
- Motor Learning and Development
- Sport Pedagogy – Study of Coaching /Teaching
- Fitness and Wellness
- Recreational Management
- Strength and Conditioning
- Physical Education and Dance
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Adaptive Physical Education
- Athletic Training
- Sport Management
HEALTH & FITNESS
- Group Exercise Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Health & Fitness Specialist
- Health & Wellness Coach
- Physical Therapist
- Registered Dietician
- Public Health Educator
- Recreation Lead
- Corporate Fitness Director
- Athletic Trainer
- Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Therapeutic Recreation Therapist
- Strength & Conditioning Specialist
- Respiration Therapist
TEACHING IN KINESIOLOGY
- Adapted Physical Education
- K-6 Physical Education
- 7-12 Physical Education
- College Professor
- Sports Historian
- Sports Sociologist
COACHING IN SPORT
- Sports Coach – Professional / Amateur / Youth
- Strength & Conditioning
- Sports Officiating
- Marketing / Sports Agent
- Program Coordinator
- Athletic Director
- Event Manager
- Sports information Director
- Recreation Director
- Sport Psychologist
More information on careers in the field of kinesiology.
Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)
Physical Therapy is a health care profession whose practitioners work in a variety of settings including hospitals, private practice, outpatient clinics, home health agencies, schools, sport and fitness facilities, skilled nursing facilities, and work settings.
The Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA):
- Is a member of the health care team who provides physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a licensed physical therapist.
- Helps people from all age groups with health or medical problems who have limited ability to move or perform functional activities in their daily lives.
- Provide treatment in patient’s care plan that may include instructing patients/clients' exercises for strength and coordination, functional mobility such as gait &transfers with crutches, canes or walkers, soft tissue mobilization and usage of modalities/physical agents including electrical stimulation and ultrasound.
A Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) Developing PTA Program
CAPTE Accreditation Information
Read more about the Physical Therapist Assistant Program.
It is the mission of the Bakersfield College Athletics Department to provide a first-class student athlete experience, compete for championships, cultivate students who complete academic goals or transfer to four-year institutions, and serve as a source of pride for the College and Community.
For game schedules, statistics, and scores, visit the Athletics website: GoGades.
Intercollegiate Athletics Courses
Student must contact specific sport coach before enrolling. For contact information, see Renegade Coaching Staff Directory.
- PHED B10 Intercollegiate Competition Football
- PHED B11 Intercollegiate Competition for Men Basketball
- PHED B12 Intercollegiate Competition Track and Field
- PHED B13 Intercollegiate Competition for Men Tennis
- PHED B14 Intercollegiate Competition for Men Baseball
- PHED B15 Intercollegiate Competition Cheer
- PHED B16 Intercollegiate Competition for Men Golf
- PHED B17 Intercollegiate Competition for Men Cross Country
- PHED B20 Intercollegiate Competition for Men: Wrestling
- PHED B23 Intercollegiate Competition for Women: Soccer
- PHED B23M Intercollegiate Competition for Men Soccer
- PHED B24 Intercollegiate Competition for Women Golf
- PHED B25 Intercollegiate Competition for Women: Volleyball
- PHED B25B Intercollegiate Competition for Women Beach Volleyball
- PHED B28 Intercollegiate Competition for Women Basketball
- PHED B29 Intercollegiate Competition for Women: Softball
- PHED B33 Intercollegiate Swimming
- PHED B34WT Intercollegiate Weight Training
Bakersfield College offers one adaptive physical education course.
PHED B3ADP Adaptive Physical Education
For questions related to adaptive physical education at BC, email Professor Konrad Dahl at email@example.com