Bakersfield College

International Students at Bakersfield College

Travel to US: Tips

  1. Passport
    • Have your passport ready for travel
  2. Obtain a Student Visa
    • Apply for your student visa though a U.S. Consular Office near you and visit
    • Have  your 1-20 ,passport,  financial support forms, and SEVIS fee receipt(I-901) with you and know the interview process
  3. Prepare for Departure/Travel Arrangements
    • Secure housing/apartments (Please note Bakersfield College does not have residence halls, however, there are apartment buildings near the campus)
    • After you receive your visa, make your travel arrangements to arrive in Los Angeles, California (Port of Entry)
    • Please Note: Bakersfield is approximately 100 miles north (2 hours) of  Los Angeles airport (LAX)
    • There is a Bakersfield Airport Bus which is scheduled daily from LAX to Bakersfield if you need transportation to Bakersfield (
      • One way-$49, credit card or cash , online reservations available
  4. Arrival to Bakersfield
    • International students in F-1 visa status may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on the Form I-20.
    • Within a few days of your arrival to Bakersfield, you must CHECK IN with the International Office located in the Student Services Building #37 to:
      • Complete Bakersfield College Admission Form online if you have not completed yet
      • Receive Your BC ID #
      • Take Required ESL Assessment/Placement
      • Attend F-1 Mandatory Orientation, August 9 & 10, 2017   from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
      • Attend Academic Counseling Session & Register for Classes
      • Pay for Your Classes
      • Classes for Fall semester will begin on August 19,2017
  5. Helpful Websites
Kern Community College District