Once you receive your Letter of acceptance, you may read the following:
Steps for Newly Admitted Students
After you recieve your I-20, you are required to complete the following steps. Find detailed steps in the Post Administration Procedures.
Use the student number provide on your acceptance letter (B00-00-XXXX) as your Social Security Number (SSN).
ATTENTION!!! You may have difficulties accessing Bakersfield College server from overseas. If so, you may use tunnelbear.com to access our services through a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with a US-based IP address. Any VPN with a US-based IP address will do.
Note: The TOEFL/IELTS scores are for admissions purposes only. All students must complete an on-campus placement test upon arrival for placement into English and math courses.
You are required to complete two orientations. One prior to arrival to Bakersfield and the other, upon arrival to tBakersfield College and in-person.
Student Educational Plan (SEP)
You will complete a Student Education Plan after the second week of classes to set your goals and major with the ISA Counselor.
What is SEVIS?
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a web-based system for maintaining information on international students in the United States. Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), a division of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the investigative unit in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), administers SEVIS.
What is the SEVIS Fee?
The U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a one-time SEVIS fee of $200 from international students on F-1 visa. The following information may be of help to you:
- You cannot pay the fees at the Consulate Office.
- You must pay the fee at least 3 days prior to your interview.
- Another person can pay the fee on your behalf.
- The fee must be paid directly to DHS by mail, online, or Western Union Quick Pay.
- You can find information on the form-I-901 ( Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants) by visiting FMJfee.com
- After paying the fee, you will receive a form I-797 (Receipt Notice) which must be presented when applying for your visa.
- The SEVIS fee will not be refunded if you are denied a visa; however, if you reapply for a new F-1 within 12 months of the denial, you will not have to pay the fee again.
Tips for Traveling to the U.S.
- Passport - Have your passport ready for travel
- Obtain a Student Visa
- Apply for your student visa though a U.S. Consular Office near you and read about the Student Process Steps
- Have your 1-20, passport, financial support forms, and SEVIS fee receipt (I-901) with you and know the interview process
- Prepare for Departure/Travel Arrangements
- Secure housing/apartments (Please note Bakersfield College does not have residence halls; however, there are apartment buildings near the campus)
- After you receive your visa, make your travel arrangements to arrive in Los Angeles, California (Port of Entry)
- Note: Bakersfield is approximately 100 miles north (2 hours) of Los Angeles airport (LAX) See LAX to Bakersfield for more details.
- Arrival to Bakersfield
- International students in F-1 visa status may not enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date on the Form I-20.
- Within a few days of your arrival to Bakersfield, you must CHECK IN with the International Office located in the Center for Student Success Building room 37 to:
- Complete Bakersfield College Admission Form online if you have not completed it
- Receive Your BC ID #
- Take Required ESL Assessment/Placement
- Attend F-1 Mandatory Orientation, August 9 & 10, 2017 from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Attend Academic Counseling Session & Register for Classes
- Pay for Your Classes
- Classes for Fall semester will begin on August 19,2017
- Helpful Websites
All new international students must complete the following orientations:
- Online Orientation: Complete this BEFORE your arrival to the U.S. Take the Orientation Now
- In-Person Orientation: International Students must complete a mandatory in-person F-1 Orientation.
When: January 8, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Where: Center for Student Success CSS #151
Beginning/Ending Semester Dates
- Spring Semester begins January 12, 2019 and ends May 10, 2019
Students must arrive to Bakersfield at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to arrange for housing, assessment and class registration.
LAX to Bakersfield
There are two shuttle services from Los Angeles Airport (LAX) to Bakersfield.
Airport Valet Express, LLC.
Phone: (661) 363-5000
Shuttle Pickup from LAX Schedule
Monday – Friday 10:00 AM, 2:30 PM and 6:30 PM
Saturday – Sunday 2:30 PM and 6:30 PM
At the time of this posting costs are
- 2 weeks advanced booking one-way ticket $44.00
- 1 week advanced booking one-way ticket $54.00
- less than 1 week advanced booking one-way ticket $64.00
Once you arrive at LAX, wait under the passenger green sign that says (Fly Away Buses). Give them your phone number and they will contact you when the bus arrives.
All Three Shuttle Service
Phone: (661) 333-2063
Shuttle Pickup from LAX Schedule
Time is very flexible, be sure to schedule in advance and they will work with your schedule.
At the time of this posting, a one-way ticket is $40.00.
Bakersfield College does not offer on-campus accommodations. However, there are many apartments near BC’s Panorama Campus. Rent charges vary according to location, size, and amenities in the complex. Upon request, we will mail you a list of apartments in the area. You can contact them directly to inquire about availability and charges.
You can also visit Off-Campus Housing for housing information.
When you acquire housing, you must update your information with Bakersfield College AND International Student Affairs.
Banner, also known as MyBanWeb, is the system BC uses to keep student information and registration. Once you have arrived, you have applied to Admissions and you have housing, you must update Banner with your new address. Anytime you change your address or phone number, notify the International Student Affairs office within 10 days and follow these steps:
- Sign in to insideBC
- Select MyBanWeb menu dropdown in the top left window of the screen
- Select Update Address
- Click Change under Mailing Address
- Enter your correct information
- Click Save
- Next, update ISA and SEVIS, details below.
Updating ISA and SEVIS
Complete the Address Update form for F-1 students and submit it to the International Student Affairs Office.