Bakersfield College

New International Student Applicants

This page contains information to answer many questions about apllying to Bakersfield College as an Interantional Students. Please make sure to read carefully about:

Admission Criteria for International Students

  1. Foreign nationals who enter the United States on a Visitor visa must change their visa status to an F-1 student visa in order to be admissible to Bakersfield College. The B1/B2 visa must be valid while USCIS evaluates your admission application.
  2. F-1 visa students must provide evidence of high school completion or academic achievement equivalent to a U.S. High School education.
  3. F-1 visa students must offer evidence that they possess sufficient knowledge of English language to profit from instruction at the college level.
  4. F-1 visa students who have attended a college in the United States must show satisfactory academic progress.
  5. F-1 visa students must participate in the Assessment, F-1 Orientation, and Counseling before enrolling in classes.
  6. All student course placement based on assessment scores in English and Math, unless you have already completed a college level Mathematics and English at a previous college in the US.
  7. F-1 visa applicants must present evidence that they are financially capable of defraying all costs during the period of attendance at the college. These costs are approximately $15,000 per school year per student, which include housing, living expenses, textbooks and supplies
  8. F-1 visa students must certify that their intent is to attend college full-time and that no employment is required. Students are required to enroll in no less than 12 units (full- time) per semester and expected to complete their community college education in a timely manner
  9. F-1 visa students who are accepted will receive a Form called I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, and should plan to arrive in Bakersfield about 30 days before classes begin in order to complete assessment and Orientation and to find a suitable place to live
  10. Students must make their own housing arrangements and transportation. Dormitory facilities are not available on campus. Please refer to the housing site for more information
  11. All F-1 student are required to attend an F-1 Orientation prior to start of semester date. Check the dates of F-1 Orientation located on your Acceptance letter
  12. Bakersfield College reserves the right to modify its' programs, tuition and fees, admission and graduation requirements, schedules and other policies, procedures and regulations without notice

Updated: 06/07/2017

How To Apply!

International Students Under 18 Years Old

Requirements in addition to the Application material

High School Graduation Requirement:

Verification of high school graduation or secondary school is required for admission. School records in foreign languages must include a notarized English translation. Minimum 2.0 GPA is required for admission.

O-Level and A- Level course work:

Students who wish to enter Bakersfield College by completing A/O levels must pass five of the exams that must include one class of each subject: English, Math, Humanities/Social Sciences, second language, and science with grades of C or better. We will not accept provisional results.

Assigned Guardian Statement Form

Bakersfield College’s International Student Affairs Office requires that students who are under the age of 18 have a guardian over the age of 21 living in the Kern County area. In the event of a personal emergency, accident, illness or incarceration, the State of California will require the signature of a guardian before offering assistance such as hospitalization or legal counsel. Bakersfield College is not permitted to act in place of the parent or guardian. If you are under the age of 18, you are required to have your parent submit a signed and completed Guardian Statement Form, informing Bakersfield College’s International Student Affairs Office as to who will be assigned as your guardian. The U.S. guardian must sign the form and submit a copy of their CA driver’s license/identification.

Guardian Statement Form

Minor Health Consent Form

Applicants under the age of 18 must submit a Minor Consent Form. This form is only valid if signed by your Parent or Guardian.

Minor Health Consent Form

Language Proficiencies

Please be advised that although we have great EMLS (English for Multi Lingual Students) courses, we conduct classes in English. Therefore, it is necessary for the prospective F-1 visa student to be reasonably proficient in reading, writing and speaking English at a level that will allow them to complete college courses successfully. New students must demonstrate proficiency by official Test scores, from within two years, sent to the International Student Affairs Office before an I-20 is issued.

After arrival to the U.S., all international students take an English Placement Test at Bakersfield College's Testing and Placement Center before registering for classes.

Minimum Test Scores:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign Language) score: minimum of 450 (paper-based test) or score of 45 (Internet-based test). The TOEFL institutional code for Bakersfield College is 4015. Score Reports must be less than two years old.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test: minimum score of 4.5
  • TOEIC: minimum score of 620
  • iTEP: minimum score of 4.0
  • EIKEN (STEP) test: minimum score of 2a (test offered by Japanese high schools and universities)
  • CSU Bakersfield IELC: minimum is Advance level
  • ELS Centers in the US or oversees: minimum Level 109
  • Studied in an English speaking country.
  • Completed "O" or "A" levels in a former British colony (e.g. Singapore)
  • Studied English language as an exchange student for at least two semesters in one of the US schools and achieved grade "C" or higher.
  • Is transferring directly from an academic program at a U.S. college or university.
  • Bakersfield College ESL assessment: minimum level of 3 in all areas of competencies

English Assessment or EMLS

For more information, please see the following resources:

Change of Status in the U.S.

B-2 or F-2 applicants applying for a change of status MUST wait until United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Office (USCIS) approves and awards F-1 status prior to enrolling in courses. Other non-immigrants visas may begin attendance prior to receiving F-1 status. Travelling outside the U.S. while the application is pending cancels the application for change of status.

Process for Changing Your Status

Gather all required documents (listed below). Make copies of all documents for your own record before sending it to the United States Citizenship and immigration Services (USCIS). Once completed, mail your petition and all documents to:

USCIS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10129
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607

It may take USCIS up to four months for the processing of your application. If USCIS approves your application, you will receive another Form I-797 approval notice, which includes a new I-94 form. Remember to bring this form to the International Student Affairs office so we can have a copy of your new I-94 for our file.

Required Documents to USCIS

To apply for a change to F-1 status in the United States, you must submit the following documents:

  • Form I-539 "Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status"
  • $370 check or money order made payable to "USCIS"
  • Copy of I-20 issued by Bakersfield College and signed by applicant and Designated School Official
  • Proof of SEVIS fee payment - visit for more information
  • Original I-94 card
  • Photocopies of current immigration status documents, visa stamp, and passport page
  • Copies of financial support documents, such as a bank statement or letter from the bank used to obtain I-20

Cost of Attendance

Evidence of financial support will be required prior to your acceptance at Bakersfield College. A bank statement showing that the student or his/her sponsor has sufficient funds on deposit (minimum $15,000 U.S.) must be included with the application. Student must be fully prepared to meet all necessary financial obligations for the time they are at Bakersfield College.

All International Students are required to take at least 12 units of course load per semester. There are two semesters in a year.

All fees are payable upon enrollment and registration into courses.

You may pay tuition with cash, traveler’s check, credit card, or personal check from a U.S. account.

International Student Out-of-state Estimated Annual Expenses for 2017-2018

Expense Fee Amount Total
Out-of-state Tuition $212.00 /unit 12 units x 2 semesters $5,088.00
Enrollment Fee $46.00 /unit 12 units x 2 semesters $1,104.00
Textbooks and Supplies $850.00 / semester (average) x 2 semesters $1,700.00
Housing (off-campus) and living expenses $850.00 / month (average estimate) x 9 months $7,650.00
Total     $15,542.00 U.S. (average)

Note: Dependents: F-1 students must show a bank account with additional $5000.00 U.S. for spouse and $3500.00 U.S. per child.

A one- time application processing fee of $50.00 is required by all new applicants.

Dates & Deadlines

International Student Application Deadlines

Out of Country Application

  • Deadline to apply for Fall Semester: June 1
  • Deadline to apply for Spring Semester: November 1

Transfer in Application

For students currently attending language schools, college or university in the U.S. in F1 status and transferring to Bakersfield College.

  • Deadline to apply for Fall Semester: July 15
  • Deadline to apply for Spring Semester: December 10

Admission for F-1 visa students already in the U.S. is on Rolling Admissions. Students are admitted as long as classes are available and the student enrolls in 12 units minimum for the semester.

Beginning/Ending Semester Dates

  • Fall Semester begins August 19 and ends December 9, 2017
  • Spring Semester begins January 13 and ends May 11, 2018

Students must arrive to Bakersfield at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to arrange for housing, assessment and class registration.

All newly admitted F-1 visa students MUST attend the in-person Orientation on August 9 & 10, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Transfer-In Procedures and Requirements

F-1 visa Student wishing to transfer to Bakersfield College from another College or Language School located in the U.S. and have maintained your F-1 status while in the U.S. with the college you are transferring from, are required to:

  1. Possess an active I-20 (cannot be expired or terminated)
    • If out of the U.S. for more than 5 months, you may apply to BC for a new I-20. However, you will keep the previous SEVIS number.
  2. Apply to Bakersfield College by completing F-1 visa application and secure an acceptance letter from Bakersfield College.
  3. Inform your current school of intent to transfer.
  4. Have your current school complete the Transfer Eligibility Form.
  5. If you plan to travel overseas before attending BC, complete and submit the form I-20 Travel Request Form.
  6. Once the SEVIS record is transferred to Bakersfield College, you must meet with the international counselor in CSS#37 to complete the transfer process.

Mailing I-20

Mailing of the acceptance letter and I-20:

  • Pick up: You may request to have your I-20 picked up from the International Student Affairs Office by a family member with written permission from you.
  • Express Mail: To request express mailing of your Acceptance Letter & I-20 visit Eshipglobal. The mailing office will contact us as soon as you place your order and we will send your document promptly.

Foreign Credential Evaluators

ACEI-Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.

Tel: (800) 234-1597

World Education Services, Inc.

Tel: (212) 739-6100

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.

Tel: (310) 258-9451

Instructions for international students

Apply Now!

New Students

Kern Community College District