Applying to Bakersfield College is simple! After completing the application packet, mail the required documenst or bring it in person to our office located in CSS #37
Admission Criteria for International Students
- F-1 visa students must provide evidence of high school completion or academic achievement equivalent to a U.S. High School education.
- F-1 visa students must offer evidence that they possess sufficient knowledge of English language to profit from instruction at the college level.
- F-1 visa students who have attended a college in the United States must show satisfactory academic progress.
- F-1 visa students must participate in the Assessment, F-1 Orientation, and Counseling before enrolling in classes.
- F-1 visa applicants must present evidence that they are financially capable of defraying all costs during the period of attendance at the college. These costs are approximately $15,000 per school year per student, which include housing, living expenses, textbooks and supplies
- F-1 visa students must certify that their intent is to attend college full-time and that no employment is required. Students are required to enroll in no less than 12 units (full- time) per semester and expected to complete their community college education in a timely manner
- Foreign nationals who enter the United States on a Visitor visa must change their visa status to an F-1 student visa in order to be admissible to Bakersfield College. The B1/B2 visa must be valid while USCIS evaluates your admission application.
How To Apply!
International Students Under 18:
Requirements in addition to the Application material
High School Graduation Requirement:
- Verification of high school graduation or secondary school is required for admission. School records in foreign languages must include a notarized English translation. Minimum 2.0 GPA is required for admission.
O-Level and A- Level course work:--Students who wish to enter Bakersfield College by completing A/O levels must pass five of the exams that must include one class of each subject: English, Math, Humanities/Social Sciences, second language, and science with grades of C or better. We will not accept provisional results.
Guardian Statement Form Assigned Guardian Statement Form--Bakersfield College’s International Student Affairs Office requires that students who are under the age of 18 have a guardian over the age of 21 living in the Kern County area. In the event of a personal emergency, accident, illness or incarceration, the State of California will require the signature of a guardian before offering assistance such as hospitalization or legal counsel. Bakersfield College is not permitted to act in place of the parent or guardian. If you are under the age of 18, you are required to have your parent submit a signed and completed Guardian Statement Form, informing Bakersfield College’s International Student Affairs Office as to who will be assigned as your guardian. The U.S. guardian must sign the form and submit a copy of their CA driver’s license/identification.
- Minor Health Consent Form: Applicants under the age of 18 must submit a Minor Consent Form. This form is only valid if signed by your Parent or Guardian.
Please be advised that although we have great EMLS (English for Multi Lingual Students) courses, we conduct classes in English. Therefore, it is necessary for the prospective F-1 visa student to be reasonably proficient in reading, writing and speaking English at a level that will allow them to complete college courses successfully. New students must demonstrate proficiency by official Test scores, from within two years, sent to the International Student Affairs Office before an I-20 is issued.
After arrival to the U.S., all international students take an English Placement Test at Bakersfield College's Testing and Placement Center before registering for classes.
Minimum Test Scores:
Change of Status in the U.S to F-1:
Contact the International Student Affairs Office (ISA) to discuss options. This change of status might be challenging, and it may be best to travel abroad and reenter the US in F-1 status.
NOTE: The regulations prohibit beginning a full course of study until the change of status to F-1 is approved.
- Obtain an I-20 from Bakersfield College
- Decide options of change of status: travel and reenter or Change in the US
- Prepare the required documents and follow proper steps
- Complete the packet of documents( below) and mail them to the USCIS Lockbox
Required Documents to USCIS
To apply for a change to F-1 status in the United States, you must submit the following documents:
- Form I-539 "Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status"
- USCIS filling fee- Check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Original I-94 card or photocopy of admission stamp and paper printout of I-94 record
- Photocopy of the visa page and identification page in your passport
- Photocopy of the signed I-20 issued by BC and every previously issued I-20
- Proof of SEVIS fee payment - visit fmjfee.com for more information
- Photocopies of current immigration status documents, visa stamp, and passport page
- Evidence of financial support
- Detailed letter explaining why you are requesting the change of status?
Cost of Attendance
Evidence of financial support will be required prior to your acceptance at Bakersfield College. A bank statement showing that the student or his/her sponsor has sufficient funds on deposit (minimum $15,000 U.S.) must be included with the application. Student must be fully prepared to meet all necessary financial obligations for the time they are at Bakersfield College.
All International Students are required to take at least 12 units of course load per semester. There are two semesters in a year.
All fees are payable upon enrollment and registration into courses.
You may pay tuition with cash, traveler’s check, credit card, or personal check from a U.S. account.
International Student Out-of-state Estimated Annual Expenses for 2018-2019
||12 units x 2 semesters
||12 units x 2 semesters
|Textbooks and Supplies
||$850.00 / semester (average)
||x 2 semesters
|Housing (off-campus) and living expenses
||$850.00 / month (average estimate)
||x 9 months
||$15,542.00 U.S. (average)
- Dependents: F-1 students must show a bank account with additional $5000.00 U.S. for spouse and $3500.00 U.S. per child.
- All new applicants require a one- time application-processing fee of $50.00.
Dates & Deadlines
International Student Application Deadlines
Out of Country Application
- Deadline to apply for Fall Semester: June 1
- Deadline to apply for Spring Semester: November 1
Transfer in Application
For students currently attending language schools, college or university in the U.S. in F1 status and transferring to Bakersfield College.
- Deadline to apply for Fall Semester: July 15
- Deadline to apply for Spring Semester: December 10
Admission for F-1 visa students already in the U.S. is on Rolling Admissions. Students are admitted as long as classes are available and the student enrolls in 12 units minimum for the semester.
Beginning/Ending Semester Dates
- Fall Semester begins August 18, 2018 and ends December 8, 2018
- Spring Semester begins January 12,2019 and ends May 10, 2019
Students must arrive to Bakersfield at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester to arrange for housing, assessment and class registration.
All newly admitted F-1 visa students MUST attend the in-person Orientation on January 8, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Transfer-In Procedures and Requirements
F-1 visa Student wishing to transfer to Bakersfield College from another College or Language School located in the U.S. and have maintained your F-1 status while in the U.S. with the college you are transferring from, are required to:
- Possess an active I-20 (cannot be expired or terminated)
- If out of the U.S. for more than 5 months, you may apply to BC for a new I-20. However, you will keep the previous SEVIS number.
- Apply to Bakersfield College by completing F-1 visa application and secure an acceptance letter from Bakersfield College.
- Inform your current school of intent to transfer.
- Have your current school complete the Transfer Eligibility Form.
- If you plan to travel overseas before attending BC, complete and submit the form I-20 Travel Request Form.
- Once the SEVIS record is transferred to Bakersfield College, you must meet with the international counselor in CSS#37 to complete the transfer process.
Mailing of the acceptance letter and I-20:
- Pick up: You may request to have your I-20 picked up from the International Student Affairs Office by a family member with written permission from you.
- Express Mail: To request express mailing of your Acceptance Letter & I-20 visit Eshipglobal. The mailing office will contact us as soon as you place your order and we will send your document promptly.