Bakersfield College

International Students at Bakersfield College

Change of Status in the US

B-2 or F-2 applicants applying for a change of status MUST wait until United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Office (USCIS) approves and awards F-1 status prior to enrolling in courses.

Other non-immigrants visas may begin attendance prior to receiving F-1 status.

Travelling outside the U.S. while the application is pending cancels the application for change of status

Process for Changing Your Status

Gather all documents listed below. Make copies of all documents for your own record before sending it to the USCIS. (United States Citizenship and immigration Services).

Once completed, mail your petition and all documents to the USCIS Service Center:

USCIS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10129
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607

Be aware that it may take USCIS up to four months for the processing of your application.

If USCIS approves your application, you will receive another Form I-797 approval notice, which includes a new I-94 form. Remember to bring this form to the International Student Affairs office so we can have a copy of your new I-94 for our file.

Required Documents to USCIS

To apply for a change to F-1 status in the United States, you must submit the following documents:

  • Form I-539 “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status”
  • $370 check or money order made out to “USCIS”
  • Copy of I-20 issued by Bakersfield College and signed by applicant and Designated School Official
  • Proof of SEVIS fee payment - for more information, go to
  • Original I-94 card
  • Photocopies of current immigration status documents, visa stamp, and passport page
  • Copies of financial support documents, such as a bank statement or letter from the bank used to obtain I-20
Kern Community College District