Starfish is what BC uses to connect students to faculty office hours. This may include not only instructors but counselors and advisors as well. Use this guide to learn how to schedule an appointment with someone in your connections within Starfish.
Note: For privacy reasons, some information is blacked out or "test" accounts are used for the screenshots.
1. Notice “Your connections” will list all of your instructors as well as pathway counselors and advisors available to you.
(*Note: all instructors do not use Starfish for office hours. See your syllabus for more information on how to contact your instructor. Also note that only pathway counselors and advisors will display here, not those assigned to special programs such as DSPS, EOPS, etc.)
2. Click on the three dots next to the name of the person you would like to schedule with and choose schedule.
3. Click on the appointment type displayed. These will change depending on the role of the person you would like to schedule with (e.g. Instructor or Counselor).
4. Select one option and click “Continue”.
5. Notice the walk-in hours listed at the top of the screen. You cannot schedule an appointment during a walk-in hour. *Typically you would just show up however pay attention to campus closure announcements.
6. Notice options available:
7. Select a time and click “Continue”.
8. Add comments and click “Confirm”.
9. Look for the confirmation at the top of the page.
a. If you notice something is not correct you can make changes directly from this screen.
10. If you need to make changes later you will need to go to your upcoming events. From your home screen select the menu icon in the top left corner.
11. Select “Upcoming”.
12. All upcoming events will display. Select the 3 dots in the right hand corner of the event to cancel.
13. Insert comments to help them understand why you are cancelling: