Bakersfield College

Bakersfield College students


Need based and non-need based federal financial aid that is available to students:

Need based

  • Federal PELL Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Work Study
  • Federal Stafford Subsidized Loan
  • Fee Waivers
  • State grants
  • most scholarships

Note: While scholarships and fee remissions are typically not awarded based on a student's EFC or need, they are nonetheless included when totaling the amount of aid counted towards covering a student's need.

Non-need based

Some types of aid (including but not limited to the Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, the Federal Parent PLUS Loan, Graduate PLUS Loan, and private loans) do not require a student to have need. A student may receive such awards even if their original need figure equals zero.

Other Programs

There are a number of programs to assist with financing college. Explore the following for eligibility and application information. Jump to:

California Dream Act



The California Dream Act of 2011 became law through the passage of two state bills. AB 130 relating to private scholarships and AB 131 relating to Financial Aid Administered by the State of California.

The California Dream Act allows students who meet certain criteria (as defined by AB 540) to apply for and, if eligible, receive:

  • Privately-funded scholarships
  • Board of Governors Fee Waivers
  • Assistance from EOP&S, CARE or CalWORKs
  • State financial aid like Cal Grants and Chafee Grants


You are an AB 540 Eligible student if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • Attended a California high school for a minimum of three years
  • Graduated from a California high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or received a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) in the State of California
  • Registered or currently enrolled at a California Community College
  • If required, complete and affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.


To apply for the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver (BOGFW), students must complete the CA Dream Application. If eligible for the BOGFW, it will waive the tuition enrollment fees for courses. You can also locate the BOGFW application under the FORMS section of the website and submit to the Office of Financial Aid for review of eligibility.

The BOG Fee Waiver waives the $46 enrollment fee per unit.

Cal Grants will be awarded through the California Student Aid Commission and individuals will be notified of their eligibility if they submitted an application.

More Information


EOPS is a state-funded program that serves students from low-income, educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. Services include academic, career, and personal counseling, peer mentoring, financial aid advising, scholarship information, transfer assistance, grant checks and other support services.

The CARE component offers additional grants and/or services to full-time students who are single parents, AFDC recipients, and have at least one child under the age of fourteen. Participants must qualify for financial aid.

The EOP&S Office is located in the Student Services Building, Second Floor (Adjacent to the Financial Aid Office). To contact them by phone, call (661) 395-4351.

EOP&S Application

Aid Programs

Student aid comes in many forms and from many sources.

To apply for federal and state aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application.

Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is free grant money that does not have to be repaid. These grants are available to assist in meeting educational costs.

The amount of your Pell Grant is determined by the size of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the Cost of Attendance at Bakersfield College, your enrollment status (i.e. half-time, three-quarter time, or full-time), and whether you attend for part or all of the academic year.

Federal Pell Grants are targeted to students with very high need. Even if you do not qualify for a Pell Grant, you may be eligible for other forms of financial aid.

Students must successfully submit a FAFSA application online to determine gift aid eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
This grant is reserved for students with the greatest financial need. Unlike Federal Pell Grants, FSEOG funding is limited. Bakersfield College receives a predetermined amount of FSEOG funds for the school year. Once those funds are used up, no additional awards can be made.
Federal Work Study (FWS)

Work Study allows students to earn money to meet educational expenses while gaining valuable work experience. Jobs are typically available on campus, but positions may be available at select non-profit locations. Bakersfield College participates in both Federal and State work study programs.

The Federal Work Study program provides students with an opportunity to earn money for college expenses through part-time jobs on campus. The student’s skills, available hours for work and financial needs are used to refer the student for placement in one of the various offices or other areas on campus. An eligible student may work 8-19 hours per week at the minimum wage of $11.00.

If you have been awarded Federal Work Study, please contact the Job Placement Department to explore opportunities available.

State Aid

Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (BOGFW)

This program waives the enrollment fee for qualified California residents attending a California community college

You can apply by completing the FAFSA or a one page BOG application form and submitting it to our office.

This waiver is available if your financial need is considered low, moderate, or high. This is the most accessible of the programs that Bakersfield College offers.

Cal Grants A, B, C
Cal Grant A is not available to students at a California Community College. These grants are available to California residents who apply by March 2nd for the next school year. The funding is limited. In addition to filing a FAFSA, a separate Cal Grant Verification form is required.
Cal Grant B is a state funded grant, which provides assistance for educational expenses to students from disadvantaged and low-income families. For consideration, a FAFSA application and a GPA verification form must be submitted by March 2nd. Awards range from $100 to $1672 per academic year. Cal Grant eligibility is contingent upon state funding. You must be enrolled in 6 or more units to be eligible. For further information and program management, visit
Cal Grant C is a state funded grant, which provides assistance to students who are enrolled in vocational/technical programs. Programs pre-requisites or general education classes do not qualify. Cal Grant C awards are a maximum of $1094 per academic year. Cal Grant eligibility is contingent upon state funding. You must be enrolled in 6 or more units to be eligible. For further information and program management visit
If you missed the March 2nd filing deadline, you may still qualify by meeting a September 2nd competitive Cal Grant deadline for California Community College students only. Come to the Financial Aid Office now for more information. To learn more about Cal Grant GPA calculation, visit the website at
Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG)
The Full Time Student Success Grant is an annual grant awarded to students who have been recipients of the Cal Grant B and who are enrolled full-time. (Full-time in this case is defined as being enrolled in at least 12 units.)
Community College Completion Grant (CCCG)
The Completion Grant is an annual grant awarded to students who are attending at least 15 units per term, who are on pace to complete their program within the timeframe determined in their comprehensive Student Education Plan (SEP) for the entire length of their program, and who are Cal Grant eligible and Full-Time Student Success Grant eligible. (Note: If you are a recipient of the Cal Grant and Success Grant, this does not mean you are automatically awarded the Completion Grant. You must also meet the academic progress requirements.) Funding is limited, and students are urged to file their FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline because funding is awarded on a first come first serve basis.
Cooperative Agencies and Resources for Education (CARE)
CARE is a state program, which provides financial aid as well as counseling services. The program is specifically designed for students who are single parents, with a need for child care, transportation and/or books and supplies. The grants range from $100 - $600 per academic year and do not need to be repaid. Eligibility is determined in part by submitting the FAFSA.
Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives free money to current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. You don’t have to pay this money back and you can use it for things like child care, transportation and rent. The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Education and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federally funded program and is subject to availability of federal funds each year.

To qualify, you must:

  • Be eligible, or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday
  • Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1, or the award year

To apply, you must submit the California Chafee Grant Program Application. FAFSA is recommended.

For further information about Chafee Grants, please go to the California Student Aid Commission’s website.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOP&S)

EOPS (Extended Opportunity Programs and Services) is available to California residents who have a high-need and whose educational and socio-economic backgrounds might otherwise prevent them from successfully attending and succeeding in college.

Services include grants, childcare payment, and other support services.

A separate application to the EOPS office is required along with completing the FAFSA. Please contact EOPS directly at (661)395-4351, located in Student Service Building 2nd Floor.

California Dream Act
The California Dream Act of 2011 became law through the passage of two state bills. AB 130 relating to private scholarships and AB 131 relating to Financial Aid Administered by the State of California.

For more information, visit the Dream Act page.


Over 300 scholarships are awarded each year to students who file Scholarship Applications with the Office of Financial Aid. The Bakersfield College Foundation, as well as community organizations and individuals, offer scholarships based upon financial need and academic merit.

Some Bakersfield College scholarships have certain requirements including major, class level, or even graduation from a particular high school. Scholarships are awarded to incoming, continuing and transferring students. Generally a student must have at least a 2.50 GPA, although some scholarships are awarded to students with a lower average who meet special criteria or need or possess special qualifications. Scholarships are awarded only once each academic year.

Visit our scholarships page for more information.

Outside Scholarships

There are many outside scholarships available to qualified students. Business firms, organizations and four-year colleges provide scholarships for students. Notices regarding scholarship opportunities are posted throughout the year on bulletin boards in the Office of Financial Aid.  The college library is also an excellent source of information regarding scholarship opportunities.

The following websites on outside scholarships are provided for your reference. Bakersfield College does not endorse any specific site.

Kern Community College District