Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution. Direct Loans are a form of financial aid and must be repaid with interest.
The Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans:
- Subsidized: for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.
- Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.
- Your 2014-15 Financial Aid Awards must be finalized in order to apply for a Federal Direct Loan.
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 degree applicable units at Bakersfield College. Wait listed courses do not count.
- Bakersfield College must be declared as your home school.
- You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Terms of Agreement for Bakersfield College.
- You must have completed Assessment testing. If you need to complete Assessment testing, contact the Assessment Center at (661) 395-4479.
- You must have a declared major and educational goal and be following a Comprehensive Student Educational Plan.
- Students on Financial Aid Suspension are ineligible for Direct Loans.
*(Fall Loan Deadline: November 7, 2014)
2014-15 Direct Loan Additional References
2014-15 Direct Loan Workshop/Resource Verification
Please allow a 48 hour turnaround time for your insideBC requirements section to be updated. (This does not include weekends)