Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution. Direct Loans are a form of financial aid and must be repaid with interest.
The Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans:
- Subsidized: for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.
- Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.
- Your 2017-18 Financial Aid Awards must be finalized in order to apply for a Federal Direct Loan.
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 degree applicable units in an eligible program of study at Bakersfield College. Wait listed courses do not count.
- Bakersfield College must be declared as your home school.
- You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Terms of Agreement for Bakersfield College.
- You must have completed Placement testing. If you need to complete Placement testing, contact the Testing and Placement Center at (661) 395-4479.
- You must have a declared major and educational goal and be following a Comprehensive Student Educational Plan.
- Students on Financial Aid Suspension are ineligible for Direct Loans.
Loan Deadlines: Fall 2017- November 2, 2017 SPRING 2018- April 5, 2018
FOR WARNING & APPEAL APPROVAL-SUSPENDED STUDENTS: You are required to complete at least two of the following sessions through FA TV Counseling. Please submit a confirmation of completion printout to the Office of Financial Aid which is emailed to you.
- Understanding the Pell Lifetime Eligiblity Used (LEU) and its Effects
- The Essentials to Understanding Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and what it means to you.
- A Refresher on the Impact of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- The Key Components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Financial Aid Appeal Process
Please allow a 48 hour turnaround time for your insideBC requirements section to be updated. (This does not include weekends)
Avoid defaulting on your student loan!
There are options that may help you avoid loan default. Bakersfield College has teamed up with E.C.M.C. Solutions to provide student loan borrowers a resource to help you manage your educational loans. This service is FREE of charge and you can contact them regarding loan repayment advice, repayment plan options, forbearances and deferments, and loan forgiveness. Contact E.C.M.C. Solutions by phone at 1-877-331-3262 or visit the E.C.M.C. Solutions website to connect through email or web chat with one of their counselors.