Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student's education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution. Direct Loans are a form of financial aid and must be repaid with interest.
The Direct Loan Program offers the following types of loans:
- Subsidized: for students with demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during deferment periods.
- Unsubsidized: not based on financial need; interest is charged during all periods, even during the time a student is in school and during grace and deferment periods.
- Your 2016-17 Financial Aid Awards must be finalized in order to apply for a Federal Direct Loan.
- You must be enrolled in at least 6 degree applicable units in an eligible program of study at Bakersfield College. Wait listed courses do not count.
- Bakersfield College must be declared as your home school.
- You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Terms of Agreement for Bakersfield College.
- You must have completed Assessment testing. If you need to complete Assessment testing, contact the Assessment Center at (661) 395-4479.
- You must have a declared major and educational goal and be following a Comprehensive Student Educational Plan.
- Students on Financial Aid Suspension are ineligible for Direct Loans.
FALL 2016 Loan Deadline: November 4, 2016
SPRING 2017 Loan Deadline: April 7, 2017
2016-17 Federal Direct Loan Request and Terms
2016-17 Direct Loan Additional References
2016-17 Direct Loan Workshop/Resource Verification
Please allow a 48 hour turnaround time for your insideBC requirements section to be updated. (This does not include weekends)
Deferment and Forbearance Information
Avoid default on your student loan!
There are options that may help you avoid default. Bakersfield College has teamed up with Solutions at ECMC to provide student loan borrowers a resource to help you manage your educational loans. This service is FREE of charge and you can contact them regarding loan repayment advice, repayment plan options, forbearances and deferments, and loan forgiveness. Contact Solutions at ECMC by phone at 1-877-331-3262 or visit their website to connect through email or web chat with one of their counselors.