Bakersfield College

Bakersfield College student

Student Education Plan

We will be uploading our updated Student Education Plan once it is available. In the meantime, please visit the Counseling and Advising Center in person to receive and fill out your Ed Plan.

Jump to:

About Student Education Plans

What Is A Student Education Plan?

A student education plan or SEP is the list of all courses a student needs in order to complete their certificate, degree or transfer program. This list of courses can be broken into semester units so that a student will know exactly what courses to register for each semester

Who Needs To Create An SEP?

All students need to make an education plan that reflects what their goals are for attending Bakersfield College.

It is now required that students declare an education goal when they apply to Bakersfield College and they must create their own personal education plan their first semester in order to maintain priority registration.

Some students have specific goals while others only have a vague idea about why they are attending college. Even if a student wants to take time to explore majors by taking a variety of courses, they need to make a tentative plan outlining the English, math and general education courses they need to complete their goals.

Remember, student education plans are not etched in stone; they can be changed or modified as goals change, however, we would not recommend a student change their major often to avoid taking unnecessary courses.

What Is The Purpose Of Creating A Student Education Plan?

  • Planning and taking only those courses a student needs saves them time and money.
  • An education plan allows a student to keep their priority registration.
  • An education plan lets a student know exactly what courses they need to register for each semester.
  • This plan assists in knowing exactly what is needed to get a certificate, associate degree or transfer in the shortest amount of time.
  • It helps students to focus on completing their goals.
  • A plan is now required if a student receives Federal or state financial aid.

Choosing a Major

A major is a field of study that you emphasize in your college education. It is what you “specialize” in with your degree. It’s important to remember that your major is what you will study at the university you transfer to.

At Bakersfield College, you can prepare to transfer into virtually any major at any university-there are literally thousands to choose from. To narrow down the options, students often begin to select their major by one of the following techniques:

You have an idea of a career field you want to enter:

You can find majors that are related to, or prepare for, the career field you want to enter. Majors and career fields are not always “perfectly matched.” For example, to go to law school or medical school, any major may be selected. Yet, someone who wants to be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), should major in Business Administration or Business economics to ensure they take the correct courses required for their license. Knowing your intended career field can help narrow your options.

To research possible career pathways:

Visit the Virtual BC Career Center, or or you can take Student Development B2, a career decision making course at BC.

You know what university you want to attend:

You can select from the list of majors at the university you wish to attend. Lists of majors at California state universities are available at (click on “Explore Majors”).

You're unsure about a particular major of interest:

Try taking a general education class in the major and see how you like it. Students often select their major based simply on the courses that are the most interesting to them.

Descriptions of the most popular majors in California

Visit Popular Majors for descriptions of the most popular majors in California.

Creating an Ed Plan

You've Declared Your Major

If you have already declared your major, you can create your education plan by doing one of the following:

  • Register for Student Development B1 (STDV B1), a 1-unit education planning course
  • Make a counseling appointment to complete your Comphrensive Education Plan (CSEP).

You're unsure of major / education goal:

If you are unsure of your major or education goal, register for Student Development B2 (STDV B2), a 2-unit career development and education planning course.You can also attend major and career workshops or visit the BC Virtual Career Center and/or the Career Café ( to take part in free career decision-making assessments.

Steps before Education Planning Workshop or Counseling Appointment

If you decide to attend the Education Planning Workshop or complete the education plan in a counseling appointment, you must complete these steps BEFORE the workshop or the appointment:

Step 1:

Pick up the appropriate education planning packet for the general education plan you are following;

  • BC general education for an Associate’s degree only,
  • CSU general education breadth for CSU transfers only,
  • IGETC for UC, CSU or private, out-of-state transfers,
  • Certificate earners do not have to complete general education requirements

Step 2:

Read through the list of general education courses required and highlight those you have already taken or are currently enrolled in. Read the course descriptions in the online Bakersfield College catalog and choose the general education courses you still need to take and indicate your choices by circling them on your general education pattern.

Step 3:

Make a copy of the courses you need for your major and bring it to your workshop or appointment time.

  • For an Associate degree, get your list from the BC Catalog online.
  • For an Associate degree for transfer (AA-T), get your list from the BC Catalog online.
  • For transfer to a CSU or UC, go to and make a copy of the pre-major courses required for your transfer college and major.
  • For private or out-of-state colleges and universities, go to their website, click on admissions for undergraduates and then the link for transfers. We usually recommend that you send an information request email to their transfer advisors so that you can get the most up-to-date information.