VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: To preserve the health and safety of all students, employees, and the public, everyone on campus must wear a mask and show proof of COVID 19 Vaccination as of 11/01/2021.
COVID-19 Information »

Bakersfield College

Student Grade Change/Appeal

The College recognizes the legal right of faculty to set standards of performance and to apply those standards to individual students. Therefore, the instructor is the final authority in evaluating students’ performance against those standards and assigning the grade that appear in their permanent academic records. 

Student Grade Change/Appeal Intake Form

In general, all course grades are final when filed by the instructor. Students have access to view their final grades on InsideBC after the course ends. These grades become a part of the student’s official record. The following procedures apply to grade change except for changes of Incomplete (I) and Withdrawal (W) grades.

Students have the right to inquire how a grade has been determined and may formally appeal the final grade in a course. Students have the right to have someone accompany them throughout the process. As per California Education Code Section 76232, when grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistakes, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final. Appeals are limited to situations in which the student believes the grade is prejudicially, capriciously, or arbitrarily assigned.

Per KCCD Board Policy 4C4C, a student must initiate a request for grade change within ten (10) instructional days of receiving the course grade. If the instructor determines that there is a valid basis for the change, the instructor must complete a Grade Change Card form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records. If the instructor determines there is not a valid basis for the change and denies the student’s request, the student may follow the formal Grade Change Process, which may take up to 9 months to resolve.  The formal process is as follows:

  • Meet with the Dean of Students: The student must meet with the Dean of Students to discuss the grade change procedure and attempt to resolve the grade dispute informally. Failing to meet with the Dean of Students by the deadline may result in the loss of a potential formal appeal. Students bear the burden of proof and are solely responsible for meeting stated deadlines as these will not be changed.
  • Submit Written Complaint to Office of the Vice President of Instruction: If further action is necessary, the Dean of Students will advise the student to complete the formal “Written Request for a Grade Change form” and present the documents to the Office of Vice President of Instruction (VPI). Once the grade change request has entered the formal process, it can still be resolved informally.
  • Complaint Review by the Dean of Instruction: Students’ written grade change complaints will be reviewed by the appropriate Dean of Instruction first. Unless the appeal lacks substantive evidence in support of the appeal, it will be forwarded to the instructor, the department chair, and the Vice President of Instruction for review and comment. 
  • Meeting with the Vice President of Instruction, or designee: Once the Office of the Vice President of Instruction receives comments from the instructor, department chair, and dean, the VPI’s office may contact the student to set up an appointment to review their feedback. The student will meet with the VPI, or designee, to present the outcome.

Refer to KCCD Board Policy 4C4C for further steps or appeals. 

Student Grade Change/Appeal Intake Form