Affirmed and Legal Name

To foster a campus environment that is inclusive and encourages self-expression, Bakersfield College recognizes and provides a mechanism by which any current student may use an affirmed first name and pronoun(s) on campus. We recognize a student may use a name that conforms to their gender expression or may go by a first name that represents themself. Students may use their affirmed first name, regardless of whether they have legally changed their name.

Individuals may request to use an affirmed name and gender pronouns by completing a simple form. This is an optional process for all students and employees. 

To specify an affirmed first name or gender pronoun, individuals must complete the BC Affirmed Name Request form. If you have concerns about the display of your name in staff- and faculty-facing systems, please contact the Dean of Students in the Office of Student Life at

*Students have the option to choose which name appears

FERPA Notice

Under FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a student’s name may be disclosed to the public as “directory information” unless the student opts not to permit such disclosure. The affirmed name will be priority disclosed to students who have selected an affirmed name. To revoke the college’s disclosure of directory information, a student has the option of requesting privacy through the Admissions and Records Office. For more information on directory information and how to restrict disclosure, visit the Admissions and Records website.

International Students

For students on an F-1 visa, the I-20 may list both affirmed and legal names. Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) records will continue to include the legal name as indicated on the passport. Students must disclose their affirmed name in all immigration and visa applications if it has been used officially at BC. Questions regarding how an affirmed name will be used should be directed to the Office of International Students.

Official Email Name Change

It is important to note that a college name change will not change your BC email username until appropriate paperwork and submission have been completed by the Admissions & Records Office. Once the name change has been processed, you may request that the Admissions and Records Office submit a helpdesk ticket to update your student email address. For more information, please email

Legal Name Change at BC

All changes must be accompanied by applicable documentation, including but not limited to:

  • Marriage license
  • Driver's license
  • Court order
  • Government-issued ID
  • Passport

Name changes must be the full, legal name.  Nicknames, abbreviations, or initials are not acceptable unless used as legal names or approved by the Admissions and Records Office. If providing documentation by mail, please provide only photocopies; DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS. 

Affirmed Pronouns

BC aims to serve students of all genders, gender identities, and gender expressions.  Students are encouraged to meet with a staff member to discuss how the college may assist with their needs or questions specific to their gender and/or the name used on college records. To schedule a confidential appointment, students may contact the Dean of Students at

The following things you can do without submitting a form and additional information you may need to complete on your own.


NameCoach is a tool integrated into the Canvas learning platform and is designed to support inclusive teaching practices. It allows you to record and share the pronunciation of your name and share your pronouns. BC Academic Technology has created a video on How to Use NameCoach to assist you in making this change. If you do not see NameCoach with your class canvas shell, please inform your faculty member or please contact the Renegade Hub.

Faculty Notification

To ensure confidence in the student and create a positive relationship with the faculty, it is preferred that students email their faculty independently for future semesters. If any issues arise, do not hesitate to get in touch with the Dean of Students Office at


Starfish is an educational tool that connects you to your instructional faculty, as well as your pathway success team comprised of faculty from your program, your pathway counselor and advisor, a financial aid representative, and other student support services. To log onto your Starfish account through insideBC select tools then select Starfish. To display your affirmed name and pronouns within Starfish, follow the instructions within the edit student preferred profile name video.

Zoom Display Name/Pronouns Change

Customize your zoom profile to include your name and pronouns, and choose when to share them during a meeting or webinar.

  1. Open the Zoom app and tap the Settings icon in the upper right corner.
  2. Choose Profile and then Select Edit Profile.
  3. Click Edit next to your name.
  4. Add your affirmed name and pronouns [e.g. Nicky Damania (they/them)].

Also, you can add pronouns to your name in a meeting:

  1. Right-click on your name.
  2. Select Rename. (Host must enable this feature.)
  3. Enter a new screen name or pronouns, and select OK.

Official Legal Name Change Process

This request does not change your Bakersfield College legal name on any official BC documentation or documentation sent to third parties. To change your official name within your BC records, you must have officially changed your name with the State of California and provide BC Admissions and Records Office with your updated documentation reflecting your name change. To learn more about how to change your California State Identity documents, visit the California Courts Self-Help Guide for "Change your Legal Name" to: