All prerequisite coursework must be completed prior to applying for the Radiologic Technology Program. Students are strongly encouraged to complete prerequisite courses prior to enrolling in general education courses. This will improve a student’s opportunity to apply for program enrollment. The following prerequisite courses must be completed with a C grade or higher.
- BIOL B18 (Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology) -or- BIOL B32 (Human Anatomy and Physiology I ) -and- BIOL B33 (Human Anatomy and Physiology II) -or equivalent course(s) at another accredited college. Note: BIOL B14 (Human Anatomy) and BIOL B15 (Human Physiology) were previously taught at Bakersfield College and they meet this requirement.
- MATH BD/B70 (Intermediate Algebra-5 units) at Bakersfield College or equivalent course at another accredited college. A higher level college math course will be accepted in lieu of this algebra requirement.
- MEDS B60 (Medical Terminology - 3 units) at Bakersfield College or equivalent course at another accredited college.
- ENGL B1a (Expository Composition - 3 units); or an equivalent course at another accredited college. This prerequisite must be met by all new and Wait List applicants effective February 2013.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.7 with Math BD/MATH B70 passed on the first attempt OR A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.9 with Math BD/MATH B70 passed on the second attempt. Withdrawal grades count as an attempt. This prerequisite must be met by all new and Wait List applicants effective February 2013.
Note: All course attempts including grades of “D”, “F” and withdrawals (W) are included in the review of the course attempts. Students with more than two math attempts are not initially eligible for the program. In addition, for students who use a higher level math course in lieu of Intermediate Algebra these same requirements for minimum cumulative grade point average and course attempts apply in order to meet program prerequisites.
Students who do not initially meet the eligibility requirement for passing the MATH BD/MATH B70 prerequisite within two attempts must complete all of the following remediation requirements to be considered eligible to apply for the Radiologic Technology Program.
Students who do not meet the grade point average (GPA) eligibility requirement of either 2.7 or 2.9 are advised to research and complete, if applicable, an Academic Renewal request through the Bakersfield College established process identified in the college catalog for a recalculation of their GPA. Documentation of completion of the remediation plan must be submitted to the Program at the time of application. Documentation is made through college transcripts.
- Completion of ACDV B70a-B70f- Study Skills courses with a “CR” grade
- Completion of MATHB22 Elementary Probability and Statistics with a minimum grade of “C” on the first course attempt
- Successful completion of the Remediation Program must be completed within 1 year of initial application to the program.
- Graduation from high school or an equivalent education.
General Education Pattern
General education courses are required to graduate from the Bakersfield College Associate in Science Degree Radiologic Technology Program. It is suggested that these courses be completed prior to program enrollment. Refer to the Bakersfield College General Education and Graduation Requirements in the college catalog for more specific information and requirements for the college (the list below does NOT identify all requirements). All students are encouraged to regularly check the college requirements for graduation to ensure that AS degree requirements will be met at the end of the radiography program.
- Student Development: It is recommended that students complete this component as they begin college coursework
- Computer Studies (3 units): COMS B2 or COMS B5 or equivalent is necessary to meet Radiologic Technology Program completion
- Behavioral Science: Psychology B1a is recommended
- Arts, Literature, Philosophy, and Foreign Language-Humanities: Philosophy B12 recommended
- Health Education: Students who successfully complete the Radiologic Technology Program are waived from the Health Education requirement for graduation
- An individual who has previously received an associate degree or higher must meet and earn the Associate in Science Degree requirements for the Radiologic Technology Program to meet eligibility requirements for certification and licensure.