Bakersfield College

Bakersfield College students at graduation


Please check your catalog year for your correct graduation requirements.

Bakersfield College degrees may be obtained using one of three General Education Patterns:

For earlier catalog rights, please refer to the appropriate online Bakersfield College catalog.

Associate Degree Guidelines

The Associate Degree requires 60 degree applicable or transfer level units.

The 60 units include the following types of courses:

  • General Education Courses
  • BC Major Courses
  • Elective courses, if needed to reach 60 units

Additional Graduation Requirements:

  • Multicultural Course
  • Educational planning courses, recommended first semester: STDV B1, STDV B2, STDV B6
  • A Cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required on all degree applicable units.
  • Students must complete Graduation Competencies that include the following:
    1. English: English B1a with a minimum grade of "C"
    2. Math: 2 years of high school algebra OR Math BD, with a minimum grade of "C" or an equivalent score on the placement/assessment (students will be required to complete an appropriate mathematics course listed in the general education pattern).
    3. Reading: One of the following:
      • Score Level 5 or 6 on College Assessment Reading
      • Completion of ACDV B50 with a "C" or higher
  • BC offers four types of Associate Degrees
    1. Associate in Arts (18-24 units major preparation)
    2. Associate in Science (24-30 units major preparation)
    3. Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T)
    4. Associate of Science for Transfer (AS-T)
    Generally, only one Associate in Arts degree may be earned at BC. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Office of Student Learning at (661) 395-4305

File for Graduation

  • Download and Complete the Candidacy for Graduation
  • Log in to InsideBC
  • Click on "Tools" on the top toolbar.
  • Find the MyDegreePath box
  • Click on Go to MyDegreePath. Check your Degree Works to make sure your catalog rights are stated and the major you are requesting is the major that is being evaluated.
  • Students whose major is not correct can chose to process a What if Evaluation.
  • Under worksheets click on what if, choose your catalogs rights, choose the major you want to process and Click on Process What if button on top.
  • Under Degree Progress you need to be at a 96% to file for graduation.
  • If your Degree Progress is under 96% you need to see a counselor.
  • Print your MyDegreePath and attach it to the Candidacy for Graduation Petition form. Turn them both in at the Admissions and Records office Window #6.

NOTE: A student completing their final coursework in the summer, but who would like to participate in the once a year May commencement ceremony, should file for summer graduation beginning May 1 to June 1.

Students must file for graduation before the following deadline dates:

  • Fall Graduation: November 1
  • Spring Graduation: April 1
  • Summer Graduation: July 1

Commencement Ceremonies

Commencement ceremonies are held once each year in May. Students who complete their degree requirements during the fall, summer or spring prior to the ceremony or who will complete them in the following summer, are eligible to participate.

Diplomas are mailed to graduates by the end of July.

The associate in arts or the associate in science degree shall be conferred by the Board of Trustees of the Kern Community College District upon a Bakersfield College student who has satisfactorily completed the requirements. These requirements are consistent with those prescribed by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and the Board of Trustees of the Kern Community College District.

Kern Community College District