Bakersfield College

Academic Information

Coursework is measured in terms of semester units. A unit equals 18 hours of lecture or 54 hours of lab work per semester in most courses. Lecture courses require additional outside of class work to equal a minimum of 48 hours of student work.

Academic Freedom

The district, the colleges, and unit members will adhere to the following in regard to academic freedom:

  1. Education in a democracy depends upon earnest and unceasing pursuit of truth and upon free and unrestricted communication of truth.
  2. Faculty members shall be free to exercise academic freedom, including freedom of investigation, freedom of discussion in the classroom, freedom to select texts and other instructional materials, freedom of assignment of instructional exercises, and freedom of evaluation of student efforts.
  3. Faculty members acknowledge that in the exercise of academic freedom they have a responsibility to be accurate and comprehensive in making reports, to be fair-minded in making interpretations and judgements, to respect the freedoms of other persons, to exclude irrelevant matters from classroom discussions and instructional exercises, and to make appropriate distinctions between statements of fact made as faculty subject matter specialists and opinions made as private citizens.
  4. The college recognizes the fundamental right of the faculty member to be free from any censorship or restraint which might interfere with the faculty member’s obligation to pursue truth and maintain his/her intellectual integrity in the performance of his/her teaching functions.

Academic Integrity

Bakersfield College has the responsibility to ensure that grades assigned are indicative of the knowledge and skill level of each student. Acts of academic dishonesty make it impossible to fulfill this responsibility, and they weaken our society. Faculty, students, administrators, and classified staff share responsibility for ensuring academic honesty in our college community and will make a concerted effort to fulfill the following responsibilities.

Any test, paper, or assignment submitted and that bears BC students’ name is presumed to be the own original work that has not previously been submitted for credit in another course unless you obtain prior written approval to do so from the instructor.

In all of the assignments, including homework or drafts of papers, students may use words or ideas written by other individuals in publications, web sites, or other sources, but only with proper citation. As a general rule, if citing from a published source or from a web site and the quotation is short (up to a sentence or two) place it in quotation marks; if a longer passage from a publication or web site, please indent it and use single spacing. In both cases, be sure to cite the original source in a footnote or in parentheses. If a student is not clear about the expectations for completing an assignment or taking a test or examination, be sure to seek clarification from the instructor beforehand.

Finally, students should keep in mind that as a member of the BC campus academic community, students are expected to demonstrate integrity in all of your academic endeavors and will be evaluated on their own merits. Students should be proud of their academic accomplishments and help to protect and promote academic integrity at Bakersfield College. The consequences of cheating and academic dishonesty – including a formal written warning, possible loss of grade – are simply not worth it.

For more information, please visit the Academic Integrity web page.

Academic Standing

A student whose last completed semester GPA and cumulative GPA are 2.0 or higher and whose accumulated units of ‘W’ (Withdrawal), ‘NP’ (No Pass), and/or I (Incomplete) do not reach or exceed 50 percent shall be in good standing.

Academic Probation

Students who have attempted 12 or more semester units and who then earns a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 during the Fall, Spring, or Summer semester shall be placed on Academic Probation for the following semester and will not be able to register until an Academic Success Probation Workshop is completed (a hold will be placed on their registration). A student shall be removed from probationary status when the cumulative GPA reaches 2.00 or higher.

In addition, students on academic probation will be limited in the number of units for which they may register. The academic status of each student is available under Academic Standing in the Registration Status section, on the online transcript in BanWeb, or printed on the student transcript updated at the conclusion of each semester..

For more information, please visit the Academic Probation web page.

Educational Options

  • Bachelor's Degree - Bachelor’s Degrees are awarded after completing at least 120 semester units of study, including major, general education, and graduation requirements. This is the basic degree awarded by “four- year” colleges and universities. Units earned at community colleges count toward the total units needed for a bachelor’s degree if they are transferable. A bachelor’s degree is usually earned in arts (BA) or sciences (BS), although other more specialized options exist, such as the Bachelor of Fine Arts.
  • Associate Degrees for Transfer - California Community Colleges are now offering associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. These may include Associate in Arts (AA-T) or Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees. These degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses.

    Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.

    To view the most current list of Bakersfield College Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, please go to A Degree with a Guarantee’s website at Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with an advisor or counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.
  • Associate Degree - Associate Degrees are awarded after completing 60 associate degree or transfer semester units of study to include major and general education requirements. An associate degree certifies the achievement of in-depth knowledge about a field of study (your major) as well as the ability to communicate, use mathematics, think critically, and understand various modes of inquiry. The degrees can be in arts (Associate of Arts) or sciences (Associate of Science). The associate degree may also be thought of as the “first half ” of a bachelor’s degree, although most universities do not require that you earn it prior to transfer. If you complete the requirements for an Associate of Arts for Transfer degree (AA-T) or Associate of Science for Transfer degree (AS-T) at Bakersfield College you will earn an associate degree as well as being transfer ready. The associate degree is a college degree, and as such, has value for employment and on a resume.
  • Certificates of Achievement - Certificates of Achievement are awarded after completing courses related to a specific occupational area. The required units range from 12-18 or more. They are intended for students seeking employment, improving their job skills, or pursuing career advancement in a specific career field.
  • Job Skills Certificate - Job skills certificates are awarded upon completion of coursework in a specific occupational area. They are intended for students seeking employment, improving their job skills, or career advancement. The required courses range in unit value from 1-18.

To view the most current list of courses required to complete a certificate, please refer to the Bakersfield College Catalog.

Catalog Rights / Continuous Enrollment

Students graduating within five (5) academic years of initial enrollment shall have the option of completing either: (a) the degree requirements of the College catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment; or (b) any set of revised degree requirements published in a subsequent Bakersfield College catalog. Students graduating more than five (5) academic years after initial enrollment must adhere to the specific degree requirements in effect in any Bakersfield College catalog within the five-year period prior to the students’ graduation.

To maintain catalog rights, the student must maintain continuous enrollment during the five (5) year period. Continuous enrollment means the student must earn a grade of “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, “F”, “NP”, “P”, “I”, “IP”, “RD”, or “W” in at least one course each academic year. For the purposes of continuous enrollment, an academic year begins with the summer semester and includes the following fall and spring terms. Petitions for exceptions should be directed to the Executive Vice President, Academic Affairs. Catalog rights apply only to Bakersfield College graduation and program requirements. If other institutions change their requirements for entrance, graduation, satisfaction of general education patterns, or in other ways it may be necessary for the student to meet the new requirements upon transfer, even if continuous enrollment has been maintained.

Credits Allowed from Other Institutions

Students who wish to receive Bakersfield College credits for work completed at other colleges should have official copies of transcripts from such colleges sent to the Office of Admissions and Records in the Administration building, room 7. Upon student completion of a Request for Evaluation in the Office of Admissions and Records in the Administration building, room 7, those transcripts will be reviewed and credit given where appropriate. Bakersfield College only accepts transfer credits from schools that are accredited by regional accrediting commissions of schools and colleges. Transcripts from foreign institutions must be evaluated by an approved international academic credential evaluation service. Information is available at the Office of Admissions and Records in the Administration building, room 7. Evaluations made and credits allowed by Bakersfield College are subject to review and evaluation by any college or university to which a student may transfer. Qualifying as credit toward a Bakersfield College degree or certificate does not guarantee that pass-through general education will be granted. Evaluations are completed within 4 weeks from submission.

Advanced Placement Program

Advanced Placement is a program of college level courses and exams for high school students.+ Bakersfield College grants college credit for students who score a three or higher on Advanced Placement exams. Additional information may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records in the Administration building, room 7. A score of 3, 4, or 5 is required for credit in any given courses.

Students may submit Request for Evaluation forms to the Office of Admissions and Records in the Administration building, room 7 after they have enrolled at Bakersfield College, and they must have appropriate documentation of their successful completions of the Advanced Placement courses. A maximum of 30 units of credit by examination may be applied to the associate degree.

Refer to the Advanced Placement chart.

Kern Community College District