- Class Attendance
- Regular class attendance is expected of all students enrolled in the College. Registered students and those on the waitlist are required to attend the first meeting of each class. STUDENTS WHO DO NOT ATTEND ALL CLASS MEETINGS FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS MAY BE DROPPED BY THE INSTRUCTOR.
- Course Repetition
- Certain courses are repeatable (see college catalog for details). Other courses may be repeated once for credit at BC if a grade lower than “C” or its equivalent has been earned and for a second upon submission of an approved petition. After completion of the repeated courses, a petition to have the new grade count may be filed at the Office of Admissions and Records.
- Students who have been placed on academic or progress probation or readmitted after academic or progress disqualification must see their counselors prior to registration.
- Adding Classes
- Students may enroll in open classes or add to waitlists, without instructor approval, through the first week of instruction. Students may add to waitlists of classes with spaces during the first two weeks of class, but instructors may drop them if they do not attend the first class.
- Dropping Classes
- Following registration, students may withdraw from any class in which they no longer wish to be enrolled by using the web registration system. (Non-attendance or non-payment does not release the student from his responsibility and may result in failing grades being awarded).
- Open-Entry Classes
- The college offers some open entry classes that allow students to enroll throughout the semester and complete the work at their own pace. (see college website BakersfieldCollege.edu for more information.)
- Students must complete candidacy for graduation petitions at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate.
- Filing periods for graduation candidacy petitions are: August 1 through November 1 for December graduation, January 1 through April 1 for May graduation, April 1 through May 5 for August graduates who wish to participate in the May ceremony, and April 1 through June 15 for August graduation. Applications are available under “Other Forms” on the Admissions and Records tab on the Bakersfield College website at www.bakersfieldcollege.edu.
- Forms are submitted at Window 6 in the office of Admissions and Records along with a My Degree Path audit that documents eligibility to graduate.
- Students who do not show as eligible to graduate should see a counselor or educational advisor for assistance.
- The office of Admissions and Records notifies students who do not qualify within twelve weeks of submission of the graduation petition. Students who do not receive such notification should assume that they will graduate if they satisfactorily complete their current term courses. Commencement ceremonies are held once each year in May. Students who complete their degree requirements during summer, fall, or spring immediately prior to commencement and those who are enrolled in courses to complete them in summer session immediately following the ceremony are eligible to participate.