Job Placement Services assists students in finding part-time work while attending college and upon graduation. Assistance is available in locating full-time career opportunities. For those students seeking part-time employment, an effort is made to locate work that is related to ones major or occupational goal. Referrals for interviews are made on the basis of employer hiring requirements. Regularly scheduled workshops are offered on job interview techniques, job search skills, and resume preparation. Placement services are available at no charge to the student or employer.
Job Placement has categorized job opportunities in four categories: On-Campus, On-Campus~ Special Requirement, Off-Campus and Off-Campus ~Out of the Service Area. Following are detailed descriptions and criteria for each category.
- All student employment positions for Bakersfield College (BC), Weill Institute and Delano Center are listed in this category.
- Primarily, student positions are funded through Federal Work Study (FWS), which is part of the Financial Aid Award. However there are positions available that do not require FWS and are open to those who meet the position requirements.
- Student must be currently enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units or part-time status at Bakersfield College to work on campus.
- Must complete the On-Campus Employment Orientation. Students who attended orientation prior to December 2004, must now complete the online orientation.
On-Campus Special Requirement
On-Campus Special Requirement positions are located in three areas: Student Government Association, Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSP&S) and the Tutoring Center. The positions range from Student Body President to Mobility Aid Drivers. These are ongoing positions and may not be posted on the web as On-Campus currently available jobs. Students are encouraged to inquire with respective departments.
- Each position has specific qualifications and prerequisites; such as, driver license, certificate(s) election or physical requirements.
- Special Requirement positions have separate funding sources and could require a 12 month commitment.
- Must be currently enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units or part-time status at Bakersfield College.
- Must complete the On-Campus Employment orientation. Students who attended orientation prior to December 2004, must complete the online orientation.
Off-Campus and Off-Campus ~ Out of the service area
- To utilize Job Placement services, student must be currently enrolled or be a BC graduate.
- Job Placement receives the majority of job announcements from within the state of California. Kern County is the official service area for Job Placement at Bakersfield College. Nationwide positions can also be accessed on the web. In addition, Job Placement has positions posted in the office (SS178)
Employment for Students with Disabilities
Additional employment services may be available for students who:
- Have a disability
- Currently enrolled with DSP&S
- Are clients of the California State Department of Rehabilitation
For more information, stop by the WorkAbility III office, Student Services 178 or call (661) 395-4659.
Employment for students who receive TANF/AFDC (CalWORKs)
Additional employment services and positions are available. For more information call (661) 395-4047 or stop by Student Services 191.
NEXT: Step 2: On-campus Employment Opportunities/Worksites