Current International Students
- Visit InsideBC.
- You should see a tab
Changing Status to F-1 in the U.S:
- B-2 or F-2 applicants applying for a change of status MUST wait until United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Office (USCIS) approves and awards F-1 status prior to enrolling in courses.
- Other non-immigrants visas may begin attendance prior to receiving F-1 status.
- Travel outside the U.S. while the application is pending cancels the application.
THE PROCESS for CHANGING YOUR STATUS
- Gather all documents listed below. Make copies of all documents for your own record before sending it to the USCIS. (United States Citizenship and immigration Services). Once completed, mail your petition and all documents to the USCIS Service Center at:
USCIS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10129
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607
- Be aware that it may take USCIS up to four months for the processing of your application.
- If USCIS approves your application, you will receive another Form I-797 approval notice, which includes a new I-94 form. Remember to bring this form to the International Student office so we can make a copy of your new I-94 for our file.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO USCIS:
To apply for a change to F-1 status in the United States, you must submit the following documents:
- Form I-539 “Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status”
- $290.00 check or money order made out to “USCIS”
- Copy of I-20 issued by Bakersfield College and signed by applicant and Designated School Official
- Proof of SEVIS fee payment - for more information go to www.fmjfee.com
- Original I-94 card
- Photocopies of current immigration status documents, visa stamp, and passport page
- Copies of financial support documents, such as a bank statement or letter from the bank used to obtain I-20